Can we "prevent" a C-section?

iVillage Member
Can we "prevent" a C-section?
Thu, 06-26-2008 - 7:33am

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17796664/print/1/displaymode/1098

I was browsing the other day and came upon this article on-line about unneccesary C-sections and how many Dr.'s are performing them for convenience and fear of malpractice.

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-02-2008 - 6:00am

Hi Rachelle,

I totally agree that far too many Drs do things with the thought of malpractice playing a big part.

Mom to Jeffrey, a 7 year old ball of fire,&nbs

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-01-2008 - 4:12pm

I hope I'm not repeating other posts but I felt so compelled to answer after reading the initial post that I haven't even read the responses yet. "Unnecessary" c/s are such a sore spot for me.

The last time I was able to track down a national average, the c/s rate in a community based hospital in the US was about 38%. With all of our advances in modern medicine, the c/s rate still goes up every year.

Some would argue that all of the "interventions" (i.e., anything the hospital does to you - such as continual or prolonged fetal monitoring, ultrasounds, etc.) cause needless alarm from the medical staff because they think they may see the signs of distress or impending problems when those signs may not be there.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-c/s (#1 was born by c/s due to breech presentation). I do feel though that in our super-quick, sue your pants off society, for docs, it is a more predictable procedure vs. some vaginal deliveries and it's awfully convenient (for docs as well as some parents) to be able to schedule the exact date and time of baby's arrival (although, I do have to say that I am against "social c/s" vs. medically necessary c/s).

While you are a patient in the hospital, if they start discussing the possibility of having a c/s (or any other "intervention"), always ask "What will happen if we don't do it?" or at least "What will happen if we wait?"

Marci

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-30-2008 - 8:58pm

Hi Rachelle,

I have had both C-sections and vaginaly births.

Carol, mom to 7

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-28-2008 - 10:20am

Oh Maura, I am so happy for you!

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-28-2008 - 12:33am

Hi, just thought I would chime in hear, and just share what I have read about decreasing the chances of a c-section... this is my first, and will be my only pregnancy (have 2 children who were adopted...3 kiddos is it for us), so I really want to have a positive birth experience...or at least what I consider a postive birth experience...everyone's vision is unique!

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-26-2008 - 11:45am

I am not against c/s's.

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-26-2008 - 9:56am

Here's my take:

We go to doctors because they are more educated and have training to assist us in making medical decsions.