Need money saving tips

iVillage Member
Need money saving tips
Sat, 06-28-2008 - 12:07pm

I may have to quit my job and stay home with my LO because of his medical condition. (paralyzed vocal cord --could be worse, but he cries so soft, I am worried that a sitter would ignore him)

p15296s1102107_33_0-1.jpg

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-01-2008 - 6:48am

Hi Tonya,

First of all, congratulations on the safe arrival of Caleb!

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-01-2008 - 12:46pm

Congratulations on Caleb....He is beautiful!

Mom to Jeffrey, a 7 year old ball of fire,&nbs

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-03-2008 - 8:08pm
Congrats on Caleb. I think the others said alot and I agree. Im a stay at home mom not by choice but to shorten a long story my husband and I were small business owners for 20 years, his mom took ill and we sold all and left the country, were back in usa because our oldest son 17 needed to graduate from school here. So we here but Im not working anymore But planning and saving is important even if you have just one income. I suggest a few things that has helped my family save or stretch our dollars I have 3 children 17,11 8 and just found out one on the way a blessing, but we get all we can from the library, were in indiana and our public library is great, magazines, movies music even some computer software games for the younger children this all adds up for store purchased magazines, video rentals etc. I also found I go to the web for coupons use those when I can club stores offer good diaper prices some as Sams offer a one day pass so if your not a member your free to look and shop on a cash basis.I also found some of our favorite resterants offer coupons on the web for discounts if you sign up for there emails. I just learned this it sounds funny but my whole family love a smoothie in the morning, buying frozen mixed fruit can cost up to 4.00 a bag sometimes and with 5 it's gone quickly, with summer here I have bought fresh strawberrys and freeze on cookie sheet and then put in zip bags I buy ripe bananas and peel and break into bites and freeze on the cookie sheet and then a zip bag, I even bought a can of pineapple chunks for a dollar and a can of peaches and rinsed and drained and froze on a cookie sheet with a sheet of wax and into the zip bag, so my message is long, good luck to you and the family best thing is you will be with baby and know he is well cared for, * just a thought you might check mommie and me groups in your area if your staying at home these are sometimes very resourcefull. Good luck to you !
iVillage Member
Mon, 07-07-2008 - 12:30am

Caleb is cute, will he grow out of his condition? Or will he need medical intervention?

Anyway... Money saving tips.. well I quit my job and we usually dont have any left. But we are managing on my husbands salary which is under 60k...

Everyone knows that your expenses rise to meet your income. So we realized that when i worked we blew a lot of money on stuff we didnt need. But

Here are my ways to save on cash

Shop at store where you bag your own food, cheaper and 90% of the time Generic is just as good as name brand!

Hamburger is cheep cheep cheep and you can make all kinds of dishes with it.
buy cheep steaks beat the crap out of them and make beef and broc. over rice, cheep meal but taste like a million

Some things I dont skimp on, I do prefer pampers and similac is my formula but if you qualify you can go on wic. That helps a lot!

Thrift stores.. big savings there, Dollar stores are another big savings place (though there are so many things there I sometimes spend too much.)

A budget is the big key, but sticking to it is harder!

When you need clothing JC Penny is great, they have clearance racks and you can get great clothing cheep!

Get money saving light bulbs and then remember to turn them off, better yet unplug some things that are not in use, set your air conditioning to a little warmer, you will still be cool but using less.

when you want to buy something, dont do it right away, see if you can live without it then if you cant, find where you can get it cheaper then buy it there. Shop on line, I find great deals there, I got my daughter new balance shoes for only 20 bucks and they fit her great and it only took 2 days to get them.

Here is a big saver!!!! Dont eat at fast food places, the money you would spend there for one dinner for 4 could buy you 3 gallons of milk, 4 loaves of bread, hot dogs and a few packages of lunch meat, or a large ham with a few cans of sweet potatoes and vegi's.

Basically you just need to shop smarter and think twice before you spend, its the impulse buying that makes you broke faster!

I hope this helps.

Good luck with your little boy!

Dyan

baby Mikey at 2 months Wow what a change

baby development

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-08-2008 - 12:38pm

It's still up in the air at this point.

p15296s1102107_33_0-1.jpg

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-09-2008 - 12:03am

I truly hope he gets better too. your poor baby having to have all those tests. my 10 yo was born with 6 fingers and had to have several surgeries to fix her hand, it was hard to deal doctors and sending her off for surgery. I even cry when my little gets shots I dont like them in any kind of pain.

Good luck and keep us posted on his progress
Dyan

baby Mikey at 2 months Wow what a change

baby development