Are you "allowed" to go over due?

iVillage Member
Are you "allowed" to go over due?
Fri, 07-18-2008 - 7:42pm

Hi everyone,

I don't post much, but linger about here and there.

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-23-2008 - 12:56pm

I figured this was a scheduling issue if there is no medical reason.

Having worked for doctors that prefer to do CS because they can schedule them during the day rather than be interrupted at night for a delivery, I can tell you that they like to squeeze you into their perfect schedule. They put a lot of pressure on you to not rock the boat.

The reality is, if you have insurance (other than Medicaid), tell them if they force you into a CS schedule you will find another doc to deliver your baby. That other doctor will be happy to get that delivery fee for doing no other work.

Insurance companies pay for prenatal care all roll up into the delivery charge. They don't pay for each visit separately UNLESS you change doctors before delivery (then they have to). The largest chunk of the payment though is for the delivery (say they paid $2000 for a baby, $1500 might be the delivery payment alone).

So unless those docs want to lose the larger chunk of what is due them, they should be quite cognizant of the idea that you run the show and that you want this done the right way

Yvonne :-)

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-23-2008 - 12:05am

I was due january 10th,,, I had my baby on the 15th..

I really wonder where some of these doctors come from I must have had a perfect doctor.

Anyway I think that sometimes doc thing that becuase we are older we need to hurry up and get our babies out of us, but geez I feel that if the baby is good and you are good they why not let it happen naturally. but on the other hand because you had a CS the first time they usually just like to do another one to avoid giving the baby stress of labor that might end up in a CS anyway.

but dont quote me im not a doc

Dyan

baby Mikey at 2 months Wow what a change

baby development

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-22-2008 - 10:09pm

Well I had another appt today.

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-21-2008 - 9:35pm

Hi Marci,

I asked for a copy of the study that stated that pregnant woman over 40 needed to go twice a week for the last month for US and NST - and never got a copy.

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-21-2008 - 4:28pm

I've never actually heard of age being a reason for not being "allowed" to go past 40 weeks. I can understand (don't agree, but I can understand the argument) of docs not wanting to do an induction after a c/s. I would imagine it is because of an increased risk of uterine rupture since induced contx tend to be more intense than naturally occuring contx. That just plays into the trend of docs taking the more conservative approach of no longer offering VBACs.

You want to want to be careful to not offend your doc but there is no harm in asking where you might find some information on the increased risk of "older" moms being more at risk for delivering post term babies (although "post term" isn't until 42 weeks, 1 day).

I'll do some research myself in my childbirth literature but I sure don't recall anything. Let me know if you find any credible resources (just for my own benefit - I haven't had this conversation with my doc yet since I'm not quite 30 weeks).

Good luck.

Marci

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-21-2008 - 2:05pm

Are doctors really allowed to take such decisions about us? I was nearly 41 when my first baby was born and will be 44 when my second one is born. My doctor considers my pregancies to be some of the easiest he has and apart from the amnio, which was my choice, I have not had to suffer any special test or treatment because of my age. The birth of DD was so rapid and textbook that even my very laid-back doctor was amazed (he had nothing to do but witness my daughter popping out by herself - I didnt even tear!). He has told me that unless there is danger of death or permanent injury to either me or my second baby, he will not intervene this time either (unless I ask him to). I consider this attitude to be normal - if any doctor tried to schedule me for an induction or a c/s without a good reason, I would be out of the surgery and onto the phone to find another one even if it were only days before the birth.

Good luck!

Torielle

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-20-2008 - 10:13pm

OMG Marci, I am so on board w/ everything you said.

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-20-2008 - 9:36pm

"strictly because of your age" is still not an answer.

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-20-2008 - 8:20pm

It is strictly because of my age - they have told me this.

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-20-2008 - 2:58pm

"Full term" is anywhere from 37 weeks to 42 weeks. I'd get some solid answers if they want to intervene anytime before your 42nd week. There may be a true and valid reason for not wanting you to go over but it always benefits you to ask "why" (if nothing else, just for the reassurance that it is not just an across the board decision based on an arbitrary date).

Most docs will use the rational of trying to prevent a large baby (macrosomia). Not a valid arguement for inducing or having a c/s before that 42nd week.

Edited 7/20/2008 3:02 pm ET by loofagirl

Pages