Dilating question

iVillage Member
Dilating question
Sun, 07-20-2008 - 1:47am

I was in my 20's when I delivered my first 3 children and had a c-section (due to breech) with my newborn....so I don't remember these things.

My daughter is due any day now and 3 weeks ago the doctor told her that she was dilated 2cm and the baby's head is very low and she told her that she would probably go into labor within the next week. Well, as I said, it's been 3 weeks now and no baby.

The last visit, she is now 4 cm dilated and the baby's heartbeat

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-20-2008 - 2:43pm

You can be dilated or effaced for days. It is an indication that labor is impending (that and the fact that she's full term) but it does show that she may be starting the whole labor process.

As for the contractions, the latent phase of labor, or early labor, can be very long and slow going and like your daughter is experiencing, the contx don't hurt. Depending on the patience of her doc and how well mom and baby are tolerating labor, the doc may just let nature slowly take it's course. If for whatever reason the doc wants things to progress faster than nature is going, she may go in for an induction (Pitocin to jump start "real" labor).

As for when to go to the hospital, the rule of thumb that I always teach in my childbirth classes is 5-1-1 (contx are 3-5 minutes apart, last for at least 1 minute, and have been like that for at least 1 hour). That said, she needs to ask her doc when he/she wants her to come to the hospital. And you're right, all that is usually right about when mom is 4cm.

Good luck. As slow going as it is, it sounds like something is going to happen soon.

Marci

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-20-2008 - 7:06pm
Her doctors visit was on Tuesday when they told her that she was having contractions and dilated 4 cm. It is now Sunday and nothing yet. She doesn't even feel the contractions they told her she was having. I was just thinking back to when I had my kids, I thought I ended up at the hospital in labor at 4cm. I had ALL my children in under 2 hours with labor. My daughter, I didn't even think I was in labor. My water has NEVER broke on any of my kids. I only knew to go to the hospital because my mucus plug came out and I just felt a little "crampy" like a period. The hospital always had to confirm I was in labor and

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-21-2008 - 4:38pm

How often is her doc seeing her? I do have to commend her doctor though for letting nature take it's course and not wanting to expedite things artificially. She may just be the lucky example that I talk about that is 8cm, sitting in bed smiling and knitting while that lady next door is howling in pain at 2cm.

Good luck. I promise, something will happen soon - you very rarely hear about 11 month pregnancies :o).

Marci

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-21-2008 - 11:11pm
She had her baby at 8:55am this morning. She was dilated 6 cm when she arrived and had him around 4 hours later.

Sakari at 1 month old:

sakari small

Sakari at 2 months old

Photobucket

2 months old

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-22-2008 - 12:58pm

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!

I'm very glad to hear that all is well and it sounds like she progressed quickly - once things FINALLY got moving.

Marci