Engagement of baby's head question

iVillage Member
Engagement of baby's head question
Mon, 07-21-2008 - 2:19pm

The pregnancy literature says that for a first pregnancy the baby's head should engage at the earliest 2 to 4 weeks before the birth and that in subsequent pregnancies, engagement is usually much closer to the birth. However, I am in my 33rd week and feel as though my baby's head had engaged - I breathe more easily, urinate more often and appear to have more space between my breasts and the top of my tummy than a couple of days ago. I can also not sit on a chair without my legs at least 90° apart.

Has anyone any experience or knowledge of this? I wonder whether it is possible for the head to engage this early and whether I should be worrying about pretern labour...

Torielle

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-24-2008 - 2:59pm

Thanks for this insight, Laura. I was checked yesterday and the midwife confirmed that the baby's head is indeed very low, but not engaged. He also said that it might have something to do with the fact that I'm all out front with little room for baby at the sides. In any case, no cause for worry, as you suggested!

You are very close - you must be getting excited! With DD I was checked two days before her birth and wasnt even a fingertip dilated! It all happened very fast...

Good luck and cant wait to hear about it

Torielle

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-21-2008 - 11:40pm

Hi Torielle,

I am 38+ weeks now and would have sworn