Tue, 07-22-2008 - 3:16pm

Today, I went to see my OB.

Pages

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-29-2008 - 12:37pm

Thanks for asking about me, Michelle!

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-28-2008 - 12:31am

Sorry to hear what you went threw. I had multiple problems with my midwife during my pregnancy and know how stressful it can be. I can tell you some stories...

I just wanted to let you know that my daughter (who just delivered Monday) actually ask her doctor to check to see if the baby's head was down and if she was dilating yet. This was done twice during her last month and both times she bled after they did it and had to wear a pad for the day. The doctor told her it was normal. She delivered on her due date as well.

Sakari at 1 month old:

sakari small

Sakari at 2 months old

Photobucket

2 months old

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-27-2008 - 5:39am

Hi Rachelle,

Just wanted to check in to see how you are doing?

Mom to Jeffrey, a 7 year old ball of fire,&nbs

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-26-2008 - 4:07pm

Thanks for all the input, ladies.

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-25-2008 - 3:00pm

Chiming in to concure with Marci regarding the birth plan.

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-25-2008 - 2:11pm

I just read this post, as well as all of the replies. Nothing more can be said without repeating some great advice/stories/words of wisdom but I do have to add something (of course). :o)

OBs do definitely take a very different approach to L&D than midwives. That said, although OBs will often not be the first to bring up things like birth plans, etc., if you proactively come to them with one, they SHOULD respect it. The thing about a birth plan that makes me shudder though is when people start staking demands in them ("I will NOT have a c/s!" "I will NOT allow any use of forceps/vacuum extraction!", etc. Birth plans should be called Birth Preferences because sometimes things don't go exactly how we envision them to get the end result that everyone wants - healthy mom, healthy baby.

As for internals at 35.5 weeks, that does sound just a smidge early but it is often routine for docs to start doing internals in the last month of pregnancy (36 weeks). The necessity is certainly debatable but their rational is that it an opportunity to check baby's presentation (head down vs. not) and if you are showing an progress toward impending labor (dilation or effacement).

All that said, rest assured that it doesn't sound like your OB stripped your membranes. It sounds as though he did an internal and because we're so vascular down there right now, you are probably just bleeding as a result of that - no different than the possible bleeding that you may have experienced after the pap smear that you possibly got at your first prenatal appt. Even if he were to strip your membranes, many variables must be in place before labor would begin - including your cervix being "ripe" for labor and baby sending out the hormones that traditionally begin the onset of labor. Just stripping your membranes once would not typically be enough to catapult you into labor.

You are obviously upset about the whole situation (rightfully so!) but just relax that you haven't somehow endangered the baby and he's still going to come when he's good and ready. But.....when it comes to medical care - whether obstetrical or anything else, you have to act as your own advocate. Learn from this for next time, whether it's in the Peds office or at the dentist - if you are unsure about something that a medical professional wants to do - NO ONE will think ill of you if you ask for more information and possibly even say that you don't want to do it.

Everyone gave some really good advice and stories. I hope you were able to take a little bit of reassurance from that and feel better now.

Marci

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-24-2008 - 11:00pm

Wow Rachelle...what is wrong with your doctor??????? So bizarre. It is so important to listen to the little voice inside of us that guides us in the right direction most of the time!

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-24-2008 - 9:49pm

Hi,

I am just amazed at what you have been through with doctors.

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-24-2008 - 4:17pm

Thanks for setting off this fascinating thread, Rachelle! I'm sorry your doctors have been giving you such a hard time and think that you should not hesitate to change even at this point. The advice pps have given you is very sound. I just wanted to add that I dont remember having internal examinations with DD until the very end and even then it was short and sweet and drew no blood or discharge or anything. Moreover, yesterday, I went to get checked because I thought baby's head had engaged (I've dropped down quite visibly and can breathe more easily and urinate even more frequently). The midwife was able to tell me through an external examination of my pelvic area that although baby's head is very low down, it is not engaged. So if they can do this externally in Europe, why not in the US? The paranoia of doctors about getting sued is understandable but very bad news for those of us who want to do things naturally. I feel so lucky to have a doctor who follows me all the way down the line. In fact, he is so confident that all is going well that he doesnt even need to see me very often...

Really think about changing doctor again

Torielle

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-24-2008 - 6:24am

Hi Rachelle!

I'm sorry that you had to go through all this and hope that this note finds you with no more spotting and everything back to normal!

Mom to Jeffrey, a 7 year old ball of fire,&nbs

Pages