Anyone have exp with Au Pair or Nanny??

iVillage Member
Anyone have exp with Au Pair or Nanny??
Tue, 10-21-2008 - 1:06pm

DH and I truly want in-home care for at least the 1st 6 mos when I return to work - luckily I can work from home on a very flex schedule but still want options.

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-10-2008 - 9:35pm
Au pairs are NOT nannies. Legally, they can only provide up to 45 hours/week of childcare. So the 7am-8pm schedule mentioned by a previous poster would NOT be legal. In addition, they are young and untrained. They are not professional childcare workers, they are young people who want to take some time off from schooling and have a good time in the US for a year. While you may get someone very caring and responsible, you may also get someone who resents the time spent with your child since it takes away from the good time they are meant to be having and who doesn't even particularly care for kids.
I would never never entrust the full time care of an infant to an au pair. Take a look at the Eappen case to understand what can happen.
iVillage Member
Sat, 11-08-2008 - 4:18pm

One of my friends had a nanny and then switched to an Au Pair, she is on her 3rd.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 10-26-2008 - 3:34pm

I just wanted to share with yu something, I was a nanny I lived in and was with the family for 5 years. I had room and board a car and salary but I worked from 7am-8pm I had weekends off, they provided me with a weekly budget that I used to grocery shop and for gas and to take the kids out etc. I saved the receits, to get reembersed at the end of the week for the following week. I did all the cooking, cleaning shopping and any errands that were requested, such as dry cleaning pick

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-26-2008 - 3:23pm

Well, you are cute too (of course) but he is stealing the show!!

Ha!
Libby

AND BACK TO THE THREAD:

My brother & his wife used an Au Pair service. They were very particular (as we all would want to be) and have very nice girls and one very nice boy as au pairs. Their child was a boy, so the two guys got along famously. He was from Finland.

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-26-2008 - 2:44pm

Why thank you Libby!!!! he is a little doll, I cant wait to post photos of his halloween costume, of course I havent made it yet, but he is oging to be a whoopi cushion.

baby development

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-24-2008 - 7:40pm

An Au Pair is a nanny that comes from Europe typically.

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-24-2008 - 5:29pm

I'm sorry, but I've never heard of Au Pair. Can someone explain that to me? They have no US driving experience? Why? Are they like foreign exchange students? I'm confused.

If you want a "live out nanny", have you checked the papers? Or, put an ad in the paper that you are seeking one? I have seen listings like that before were people are willing to come to your home to watch your child among other task (like laundry, grocery shopping, errands ect), but yet not live with you. When I've seen the ad's placed before, I've seen the person advertising say: "must have your own transportation, must be available from the hours of ___ to ___, compensation for gas ect.

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-24-2008 - 3:25pm

Sorry to hijack, but OMG Dyan - your boy is getting so big so fast! What cute pics!

Libby

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-22-2008 - 10:15pm

you know I dont have any experience but there is this website http://www.iapa.org/Docs/index/index.php4 and maybe you should look into it sooner, you never know how long it might take to find an Au Pair or with traveling and visa stuff, I would start looking then they agencies can tell you a good time span to start seriously looking.

good luck
Dyan

baby development