Measuring small...concerns

iVillage Member
Measuring small...concerns
Thu, 10-23-2008 - 3:43pm

Hi!
I had my 33 week appointment today, and my doctor says I am measuring small. I have had three ultrasounds so far, and in each one I've measured behind my official due date (12/5)...the latest one was a week behind, and that's where I usually fall. I've never been overly concerned about just a week's difference, but this time, on top of that, I had not gained a single ounce of weight since my last appointment two weeks ago (I've gained 15 pounds so far total). She ordered another ultrasound for two weeks from now to be sure everything is okay. She didn't seem overly concerned...just told me to eat healthy, which I feel like I do. She also said that if I notice a difference in movement to give her a call...she's never mentioned that before. So now I'm concerned that something could be wrong.

For any of you BTDT moms out there...anyone else have a similar experience? I know I shouldn't worry because I was just in the doctor's office this morning and SHE didn't seem worried, but you know how we mothers are! I already worry about being 42 and pregnant and all of the risks associated with that, so this doesn't help. My BP is good, and everything else looked fine. I also feel fine. I guess I just need to slap myself and tell myself not to worry anymore! Just looking for a little reassurance!

Thanks so much!

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-23-2008 - 6:11pm

I woudlnt worry to much, as for the movement changes, My doc always said to pay attention to the babies movements and I didnt have any complications at all, you are far enough along that if you went into labor your baby would have an excellent chance of survival so, if your fetal movement does diminish you should be aware of it, and act on it.

My doc said to lay down and I should feel the baby move about 10 times in an hour.

I am sure he/she just wants to you be aware of how your baby moves. Just in case.

as for weight gain, how big a baby you want? you may have gained in ounces, and im sure that the doc's scare doesnt measure oz, plus you have to deal with different people using the scale different clothing different shoes.. so who knows how totally accurate the scale is... so you could have gained a pound And it didnt register.

OH PS.. dont slap your self it will hurt!

Good luck
Dyan

baby development

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-24-2008 - 5:42pm

I did not have that problem (I gained over 40 pounds and measured the size of a baby cow<---just kidding, but it felt like that).

However, my daughter measured very small. She was 6 months pregnant before she even started showing. She didn't measure big at all of course and they kept changing her due date later and later (by 3 weeks). She didn't like this of course and SHE kept her original due date (when telling others what her dd was). But, she still delivered on her ORIGINAL dd was...the EXACT date.

Now, the reason I put my weight gain was because my daughters baby actually ended up being BIGGER than my baby with my size. ;o)

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-27-2008 - 5:07am

Hi,

I really wouldn't worry about

Mom to Jeffrey, a 7 year old ball of fire,&nbs

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-03-2008 - 6:32am

I measured small with my second and ...he came 4 weeks

iVillage Member
Sat, 11-08-2008 - 3:42pm

Hi~I was lurking because I am considering starting over and I just turned 40 and just wanted to hopefully ease your mind and let you know that I measured small when I was pregnant with both.

Photobucket