Has anyone used a Doula?

iVillage Member
Has anyone used a Doula?
Wed, 12-31-2008 - 3:57pm

Does anyone have experience working with a doula? My MW suggested looking into one as there is a high probability I will be laboring/delivering without a coach/partner. I contacted a local doula and she wants to set up a meeting....just curious if someone can give me heads up or do I just go on instinct/compatability? It sounds like this person is familiar with my midwife/dr practice...so I am hoping i can get input from my caretaker at my next visit too....

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-02-2009 - 2:31pm

Hi there,

I have been a birth doula for almost 17 years. I had a doula at the birth of my last child 16 years ago. I strongly recommend it! :)

I have had many moms and dads tell me that it is such a comfort to know that someone is there to take care of mom! Dads report that they get to more fully experience the birth of their child without having to be the 'birth professional'. Moms report that having someone there who is trained and who will support her wishes is so helpful.

Studies show better outcomes for moms and babies with doula care.

I do recommend meeting with your doula prior to the birth and discussing your birth plan. You may also want to 'walk through' the birth with the doula so that when she makes suggestions on positioning and such during labor you will have practiced ahead of time!

I hope this helps.

McKay

iVillage Member
Sat, 01-03-2009 - 11:56pm

Thanks McKay! I am excited, I will be meeting with a doula this week, we spoke extensively on the phone already. If the meeting goes as well as our conversation I believe I have found my doula! I wondered if I was going to really need one....I chose to switch into a midwife group because of the care I hoped to recieve in labor/birth but one of the midwives suggested it so I guess they would be happy to have more support there. And I can imagine it would be a relief for the Dad to have someone else there too....It also turns out it is a small world here, my doula has worked with the practice as well as had her children delivered by them. With everything falling into place like this...I believe I am making the right decision :-)

iVillage Member
Sun, 01-04-2009 - 10:09pm

That sounds ideal!

Have a fun labor and delivery!!

McKay

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-06-2009 - 11:56am

I really had never heard of Doula's until the other day and now I want one. With both of my girls (17

iVillage Member
Wed, 01-07-2009 - 1:24am

I have had many dads feel this way at first. What I usually tell them is that their role in the birth is so important just as a dad and partner. It is emotionally very difficult for a dad to divide himself between mother and baby and to know how to respond. With a doula, dad just gets to be dad.

As a doula I work with the parents as a team. I give input on things dad can do to help their partner feel better. That can be very empowering! I have NEVER in 17 years had a dad regret having a doula present, , my own husband included.

I assisted at one birth where there were two doulas, one for mom and one for dad!!

It really helps to meet with the doula ahead of time so both dad and mom can express their concerns and desires.

Let your husband know that a doula is NOT intended to replace dad in the delivery room!!

Good luck with your delivery!

McKay

iVillage Member
Wed, 01-07-2009 - 6:18pm
My doula told me a similar thing...she is willing to step out of the room and give privacy to the couple, she can provide relief to a tired husband and let him nap or get something to eat and not worry about leaving me unattended...he should go with you to meet the doulas...I think he might feel less threatened...