Another doula question....

iVillage Member
Another doula question....
Wed, 01-07-2009 - 9:36am

Are doulas typically used for those who want to try natural childbirth, or can they assist if one is considering

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/baisleac/Sig%20Requests/DF%206%20month%20blinkies/YOUR_USER_NAME.gif
iVillage Member
Thu, 01-08-2009 - 2:42pm

Hi there,

I just wanted to mention that you might want to visit our Doulas message board

Event.observe($('fullSizedImage'), 'load', function(event) { pageTags.addTagListToImg('fullSizedImage', ); });      

iVillage Member
Wed, 01-07-2009 - 10:44pm

Your doula sounds like she has a practice similar to mine! As a doula my role is to support the parents in making decisions about thier birth through every step of the process. I am a support,and a conduit of information. I help the parents ask questions of the hospital staff during labor and delivery so they can make informed decisions.

Doulas practice both in hospitals and in home births. I have assisted at non-medicated births, medicated births, and water births both at home and in hospital

Research shows that families with doula support have shorter labors, few c-sections and better overall outcomes.

Good luck in your search!

McKay

iVillage Member
Wed, 01-07-2009 - 6:12pm
I met with my doula last night :-) My thoughts are that it varies with the individual doula. Mine said she would assist any woman through labor, her role varies with each woman based upon her wants/needs/situation....that includes those who chose more medical intervention or less. Her job is to support you and give you information to help you make your decisionsand hold your hand if needed, she should not influence your choices. Some doulas do hospital births others do only home births, some do both....best thing is to contact a few doulas

iVillage Member
Wed, 01-07-2009 - 11:29am
I've been looking in my area for a Doula and most of them have a philosophy statement on their website. Some of them specifically mention that if you use epidural that they will still be there to support you, others don't mention it at all. Honestly I think it would probably be on a case by case basis as to how they feel about it. I tend to lean towards the ones that just want to be there to support you whatever your decisions may be.

pregnancy calendar