over 40...if you could would you really?

iVillage Member
over 40...if you could would you really?
Mon, 01-19-2009 - 9:31pm

If you had an "ideal" job situation...great job, pay & benefits...best options for daycare...would you take the opportunity to leave it and stay at home with your baby, that is knowing once you leave you really will not have that opportunity to go back again??

My situation....it is so strange for me to even have to ask myself this Q....When I was raising my girls I would have told you absolutely, being at home would be the best thing.

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-19-2009 - 10:14pm
Wow, that is a tough one. I unfortunately don't have this option and I am also a first time mom so I think for me if I had the choice I would love to stay home. I have also worked hard in my company and worked my way up into management. Would your company work with you so that you could extend your leave for a bit and still keep your position? Have you talked to them about maybe working from home for a while (if this is an option)? Good luck with what ever you decide!

iVillage name sig
Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

iVillage name sig
iVillage Member
Tue, 01-20-2009 - 8:08am

Yes, I have the Family Leave Act and maternity leave...so I can take a total of about 18 weeks, but of course without pay for the majority of it. And the daycare center anticipates

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-20-2009 - 1:14pm
For me, staying home isn't about me and what I want or what would make me feel good. It is about the baby and what is best for him or her. When I was 20 and had my daughter, the thought of staying home never even crossed my mind. She was in day care all day-every day. When I had my now 11 year old 5 years later, I stayed home with her because financially we could.
iVillage Member
Tue, 01-20-2009 - 2:35pm
I sort of have the ideal situation. With my two (DD 3 and DS almost 1), I work from home 3 days a week (I am a freelance writer), and they're home the other 4. So we have the best of both worlds: I can pursue the career I love and have always wanted to do, while at the same time generating family income we absolutely need. They spend 3 days a week at an amazing day care/nursery school that we feel so lucky to have found, where they learn and grow and make friends for life--literally, we have ended up planning vacations with and spending many weekends with the friends our kids have made in day care. We're lucky that we love their parents too! Their teachers are amazing and I have learned so much from them about child development and how to help my kids grow and blossom. And yet, the children are still with us more than they're away from us, so I don't feel like we or they are "missing out" on time together. I know how lucky we are and that most families don't have this opportunity.
iVillage Member
Sat, 01-24-2009 - 3:00pm

I was asking myself the same question when my son was born one and a half years ago.

My job was good and I´d always enjoyed it but I also had the feeling that I missed out on a lot with my older kids. Then I wasn´t really working until the youngest was two years old but I went to college and wasn´t really home that much. After that I worked 30 hours a week, it was okay, we needed the money but still I think I missed a lot then.

I decided to quit my job and stay home for the time being. When my son was 9 month old my old employer asked me if I could imagine taking care of two projects. The job could be done mostly from home so I agreed.

It worked pretty well, only a couple of hours

iVillage Member
Sun, 01-25-2009 - 9:37am

Hi Amy,

Good posting...

Pregnancy ticker
iVillage Member
Sun, 01-25-2009 - 11:22pm

Me too....it is worth every penny I can pull together to stay home as long as possible, but actually leaving the job at my age and in this economy is a risky thing.

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-26-2009 - 2:01am
Maybe I shouldn't even post here, since I am a fulltime SAHM anyway. Financially we are not in great shape, but that is mostly because of poor decisions in the past. I think my time with my kids is invaluable, and the bond I have with them is something that I would never trade. BUT, it is hard to leave a job to stay home, I think you need to believe in what you are doing or you will resent it later. On the other hand, if you stay working, that is time with your child that you can never get back again. I know what we chose, but everyone has to come to their own decisions and everyone's situation is different. Kudos to you for even thinking about trying to stay home, and best wishes to you as you struggle with your decision.

Michelle

Loving Mom to three

Michelle

Loving Mom to three rambunctious 

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-27-2009 - 8:57am

It is in my nature to work (I oversee several hundred).

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-27-2009 - 2:12pm

The whole topic can be so controversial.

Pregnancy ticker

Pages