folic acid and omega 3

iVillage Member
folic acid and omega 3
Fri, 01-23-2009 - 7:20pm

Hi, I was told that if I took folic acid and omega 3 before and during my pregnancy that it would lower the chances of chromosome disorders. Has anyone else heard this?

Thanks, Robin

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-23-2009 - 10:55pm
Yes, absolutely!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-26-2009 - 1:29am

Folic acid for sure. They used to say 1mg a day, but when you are older they are now recommending 5mg/day. I only just found that out a few weeks ago at my ob, and she gave me some PregVit vitamins with the higher dose. That is just until 12 weeks though, the highest risk period, and then I go back down to the 1mg amount. I think I have two days of pills left before I need the new ones.

I have not heard of omega 3 in relation to defects, but I would not be surprised. Omega 3 is very important for brain development and also prevention of depression later on. Just be sure to check the source you are getting it from. Most come from fish oils, but you can also get it in a more pure form. I know Martek Biosciences is the original company that produces it, but you would have to look up where you can get it. We get it through a secondary company, but I have yet to see it in the health food stores up here in Canada. I know it is more widely available in the US though.

Michelle

Loving Mom to three

Michelle

Loving Mom to three rambunctious