Have Level II U/S Tomorrow

iVillage Member
Have Level II U/S Tomorrow
Sun, 01-25-2009 - 10:18am

Hi ladies!

I have my level II tomorrow and I am so nervous and I have no idea why. Every time I go to the doc I keep expecting to hear that something is wrong and I have got to find a way to stop this stinkin thinkin. I know that this is due to my past of three miscarriages and this being my first

iVillage name sig
iVillage Member
Sun, 01-25-2009 - 11:53pm

Your procedure sounds a little different than how they do it here...I was scheduled for level II but ended up just having the normal US done. The difference between the two from all the info I got was that the level II looks for soft markers(they take more measurements & pics), it typically runs

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-26-2009 - 1:42am

(((Hugs))) I can totally understand your worry, but relax, I am sure all is fine. I was a basket case the whole way through with my 4 yr old, what a waste of energy!!! I was certain when we went in at 19 weeks that it was going to be bad news, but he was alive and well, just making me freak out! The little stinker had not moved much at ALL for a couple of days before the u/s, and then would not stop moving, starting just hours afterwards!!!

I agree your level II sounds a bit different, but it could be just the way they like to do them. Mine are usually about 45 minutes, and they have never used the internal unless for some reason they were having trouble seeing a certain part.

It is perfectly normal to worry, especially with previous losses, been there, but try really hard to relax. Like I said, I stressed non-stop with my son, and the result was a perfect baby, but very high needs. I concentrated hard on relaxing with my daughter, and again, a perfect baby, but this time a very calm and contented one. I am stressing a bit more this time again, partly because of another m/c in between, and partly because I am another couple of years older and at 44 my new ob emphasized the risks a little more than I needed! The odds are still very much in my favour, as they are for you too. I guess we both need to think relaxing thoughts and just concentrate on being more positive. I go for my 13 week NT u/s a week from tomorrow, so I will need your encouragement then!

Michelle

Loving Mom to three

Michelle

Loving Mom to three rambunctious 

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-26-2009 - 8:32am

Hi Dawn,

I am not that far behind you. In about 2 weeks I have my level 2 with a genetic consult.

Pregnancy ticker
iVillage Member
Mon, 01-26-2009 - 10:10am

Thank you so much for your words of encouragement! I think my doctor may have been wrong about how they do it too. I found my original appointment sheet and it gives the overview of what to expect (gee it probably would have helped to look at it). This was the high risk doctor that is sending me for the level II, not my normal OB and is being conducted in one of his offices closer to my home. It seems that I will be having two different exams. One being done by an ultrasonographer who does a preliminary one where they take the measurements for fetal size and amniotic fluid volume. Next will be the maternal-fetal medicine OB who will check the anatomy and finally do an echocardiogram. The results will be discussed with me before I leave.

I do want to know the sex of the baby, not for any particular reason but more because I am impatient! The last u/s I had a few weeks ago the tech told me that it looked like it was a girl by what she was seeing, but not to quote her. Everyone keeps telling me not to count on anything they tell me regarding the sex because of either personal experiences or stories they have heard from others about how they were wrong.

Thank you again for your support. I will be back later to let you know how it goes. My appt. isn't until late afternoon so it will probably be tonight.

iVillage name sig
Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

iVillage name sig
iVillage Member
Mon, 01-26-2009 - 10:19am

Thank you for your support. I am glad that I am not the only worry wart in the bunch! LOL

All of the testing thus far has turned out perfectly normal and the baby continues to grow at a normal rate and the heartbeat is strong. These are the things that I should be focusing on!

Good luck with your NT testing. It was helpful for me that

iVillage name sig
iVillage Member
Mon, 01-26-2009 - 10:27am

Thank you for your response to me. I am glad to see that I am not the only one who doesn't know what to expect at this test. I hate to admit it, but I am kind of a control freak and I like to know my facts before embarking on anything. Gee I am going to make a terrific mother now aren't I? LOL Read my above response to see what I learned about the level II and then let me know if this is what happens at your testing.

I still am not showing all that much and can still hide it well. I had to tell certain people pretty early on and that is because I had to be on bed rest for a week due to some minor bleeding from the placenta being too close to my cervix. It is perfectly fine now.

One of my first ultrasounds that I had it showed my uterus being in the shape of a heart surrounding the baby. I took this as a good sign (kind of like your dream was for you). It is a good feeling. Good luck at your level II and let us know how it goes!

iVillage name sig
Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

iVillage name sig