Braxton Hicks - 34 weeks

iVillage Member
Braxton Hicks - 34 weeks
Fri, 02-13-2009 - 11:57am

I never had these with my son and now I am starting to get some cramps / discomfort in my abdomen. I am wondering if this might be Braxton Hicks.

At first I thought it was the baby pushing out, but it feels like a tightening in my abdomen. And now it is radiating into my back. Sometimes, I also get a sharp pain in my lower abdomen, but just for a second. I thought it might also be round ligament pain as I'm still growing. Any thoughts?

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-13-2009 - 12:26pm
I didn't experience these with my first but I did with my second.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-19-2009 - 1:27pm
I'm only 27 weeks along and started getting BH last week.

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-26-2009 - 6:30pm

Thats usually the signs of Braxton Hicks. I had them with all 4 of my children. Each starting at different times during my pregnancy. The tightening and some times painful feeling in the lower abdomen along with the hardening of the stomach. Just make sure if you think it could "possibly" be labor that you time them. Usually the Braxton Hicks are never consistant. You could get 1 an hour or 1 every 5 mins then jump to 3 min then to 20 min. They are never consistant or last the same amount of time. However, if they start coming every 5 min apart and lasting 30 seconds or so...you better seek doctor advice.

My water never broke on any of my children. The only way I knew I was in labor for sure was it seem to be a different feeling along with the tightening. The cramping was way different. It felt like the worse period I had ever had with the cramping. Then I would always have the "bloody show" and I knew I was in labor (along with timing the contractions). Then of course there was the back pain. Can't forget that. Ugh.

Good luck.