Anyone do screenings/amnio?

iVillage Member
Anyone do screenings/amnio?
Sat, 02-21-2009 - 5:51pm

A friend of mine said something about screening for the health of the baby, not just amniocentesis but others.

John's wife and Michael and Jenna's mommy, my 3 blessings and another "surprise" blessing on the way, due October 11th!

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-26-2009 - 5:37pm

I just had an amnio today.

Lilypie Next Birthday Ticker Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker 
iVillage Member
Thu, 02-26-2009 - 11:48am
I totally agree with the others, it is a very personal decision. Last time around we did not have any tests besides the big u/s at 20 weeks. Well, we did end up with one at 13 weeks and they did check the NT at the time, but we only had it because they had trouble finding her heartbeat at the doctor's appointment. This time we were going to have both the 12 week and the 20 week u/s, but none of the bloodwork and not the amnio. Now if the u/s had showed something, then I would certainly have reconsidered doing the amnio, but only for the reasons mentioned by the previous poster, not for suspicion of Downs. And the only real reason we were going to have th 12 week u/s was so we could see the baby again! Just make sure you are doing whatever tests you chose because they are what you want to do and not because of pressure from the doctor or anyone else. Some of the tests are better than others, and some have a high rate of false positives. Hope you are able to sort it all through easily and be confident in your choices.

Michelle

Loving Mom to three

Michelle

Loving Mom to three rambunctious 

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-25-2009 - 12:25pm

Patty:

As the other pp said, it is a personal decision that you and the baby's father will need to make. You have to decide what is best for you. I can tell you my experience though as sometimes hearing what others went through helps you out too. I was 41 when I was pregnant with Dalton and I had the 12 week NT scan test done (this was my 2nd pregnancy but first baby). And like other poster said, based on your age alone the chances of the test coming back with a higher risk of Down's will most likely happen (as it did with me). I decided that since my regular OB had mentioned earlier that I should have

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-24-2009 - 9:24pm
Like another previous poster said, the screening will come back positive just based on your age alone.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-24-2009 - 1:50am
I opted to not do the screenings mostly because I would not follow up with amnio or CVS if the screenings came back with poor results, nor would I terminate the pregnancy. I chose to believe that everything is fine unless I know otherwise (I have had two healthy children in the past) If a screening test came back with poor results I would worry....other people seem to feel better after the test comes back that everything is Ok...so it is just a personal decision! I did have the 18 week US done, it doesn't show everything but was what I was confortable with....Good Luck!

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-23-2009 - 12:11am

I chose not to do any screenings except for the ultrasound. I'm the kind of person who, if the results are not something I want, needs to be doing something active, something to 'fix' things if they are not right. Unfortunately, if the tests came back in a way that I didn't want, I wouldn't have been able to DO anything except sit and wait. The other problem is that I've had too many friends whose results have come back, and the docs gave them a doom and gloom diagnosis when there was very little wrong with their babies once they were born.

It's really a personal decision. You have to decide for you as to how much you want to know. If the screenings come back in a way you don't want, how do you think you will react and how far will you take the testing? Good luck to you and whatever you decide!

Feb 09 Siggy

Feb 09 Siggy

iVillage Member
Sun, 02-22-2009 - 3:46pm

After all the non-invasive tests showed a 1/27 risk for genetic issues, I had an amnio at 15 weeks.

Shelli, married to Jason for 18 years, mom to Derek(15), Alyssa(12), and Carly (2/26/09)

iVillage Member
Sun, 02-22-2009 - 1:31pm

Hi Patty,

I live in Canada and it is routine to do a 12 week and 18 week screening for moms over 35. They do an ultra sound and blood test and combine the score. I did have an amnio with my son, but didn't need it for this pregnancy. Having said that, I would have passed on the amnio this time as there is a small risk of miscarriage. I would recommend genetic counselling so that you have all of the information before making the decision.

This is a very personal choice and they cannot make you do it. My DH and I did it as I don't think I could have gone through my pregnancy not knowing. I don't think I would ever have an abortion, but at least I could be prepared for the future.

Heidi.