Anybody choose NOT to have testing (m)

iVillage Member
Anybody choose NOT to have testing (m)
Sat, 03-07-2009 - 8:53pm

I'll be 43 when this baby is born. We have other children and I'm thinking of only having any testing done this time, if there is an obvious problem on u/s.

Has anybody else taken this route? We have actually had an amnio in the past, and it went fine, but I'm just not sure that's what I want to do this time.

Pages

iVillage Member
Sun, 03-08-2009 - 11:33am

I just had my second baby in my 40s.I had one at 43 and one 10 days ago at 46. I didn't have any testing other then the routine ultrasound at 20 weeks.I didn't even do the AFP blood test because it is only a screening that would come back high when my age was factored in.I wouldn't do an amnio because any miscarraige risk is too much.My doc. was very supportive. I hope you enjoy your pregnancy and not feel pressured to do anything you are not comfortable with.

good luck,

TLC

I am 25 weeks and started t
iVillage Member
Sun, 03-08-2009 - 11:45am

We didn´t have any testing done with either of our children.

With the first four I was very young, #5 was born when I was 42, when #6 arrives I´ll be 44.

We decided against the testing because an abortion would have been out of the question and we didn´t want to take the (minimal but still there) risk of a miscarriage.

iVillage Member
Sun, 03-08-2009 - 4:48pm
I had my first baby when I was 4o and the only tests/screens we did were the ultrasound and diabetes because it runs in my family.

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-10-2009 - 2:07am
We did not do any testing with any of ours, including the one born when I was just shy of 40 and the next when I was 42. I would have only had the u/s done for this last one had we made it that far. Again, abortion is not an option for us, so I would not have had any test that carried even a small risk of m/c. Yet having said that, if for some reason the doctor felt it was in the best interests of the baby for us to have an amnio done, then I might have considered it late enough that if the worst case scenario happened the baby would be big enough to survive. The doctor would have to be pretty convincing though!

Michelle

Loving Mom to three

Michelle

Loving Mom to three rambunctious 

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-11-2009 - 11:55pm
I am 44 and expecting in a few weeks, I also have 2 healthy grown children....I didn't do anything but the 18 week ultrasound which was normal. I too decided that the risks of amnio was too great to rely on questionable screening results....some women opt for the level II US which is much more indepth and can screen for Down's. I would have been a worrywort through my pregnancy if I had got less than desirable screening results....

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-23-2009 - 2:52pm
I am still a bit on the fence re: amnio, but today I am leaning towards NOT doing it. I had good results from my nt scan and accompanying bloodwork, so I think I will just be happy with that information. I know many people say they would not terminate a pregnancy if they found a chromosomal abnormality, but honestly, we probably would have (depending on the problem). But, I realize you can't rule out everything that could possibly befall your baby, so I guess I felt like we had to draw the line somewhere re: what kind of testing we wanted to do.
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-25-2009 - 10:07pm
Hi Kathy. I'm 41 and this will be my first baby. I have chosen to not have any testing done. I always wanted to have my children natural & at home. Even though that won't happen, at least I can choose to have a peaceful, natural pregnancy. Women have had babies for thousands of years without all this testing & hype. It's ok to trust nature & God.
iVillage Member
Sun, 04-05-2009 - 1:23am

We have just been talking about this. It's still quite early in our pregnancy and I did have amnios with the other two but honestly I felt like we did an awful lot of testing of a huge number of things and it felt invasive after a while.

I will have ultrasounds and test for GD since I had it with both previous pregnancies but the fewer the better to my mind all around.

Thanks for bringing this up!

Chase

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker <
iVillage Member
Sat, 04-18-2009 - 11:11pm
Wish I had chosen not to.... I am 42 and I am 14weeks with #4 and feeling like I have been "played"
iVillage Member
Mon, 05-11-2009 - 7:07am
I had my first child at 41 and am now 12 weeks pregnant with my second. I didn't do testing the first time and won't do it this time either. My two-year old is happy and healthy and any test results wouldn't have been totally conclusive anyway. I really don't see the point. You never can really tell/know what you've got coming in life, anything can happen, and you could never really psychologically prepare for the unknown anyway. My thoughts on the matter are to try and enjoy pregnancy and than enjoy the baby/kid/life. The less you stress while pregnant, the better the baby is off I figure!

Pages