Anybody choose NOT to have testing (m)

iVillage Member
Anybody choose NOT to have testing (m)
Sat, 03-07-2009 - 8:53pm

I'll be 43 when this baby is born. We have other children and I'm thinking of only having any testing done this time, if there is an obvious problem on u/s.

Has anybody else taken this route? We have actually had an amnio in the past, and it went fine, but I'm just not sure that's what I want to do this time.

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-07-2009 - 3:08pm

We decided not to do any invasive testing after thoroughly reading the most recent information on what is available and carefully considering what the results would give us. They would give us information, perhaps inconclusive, vague information, but they would not give us certainty that everything was or was not "OK".

We knew we would not change anything about what we were doing based on test results and it would only give us more things to worry about. We don't need to know the sex conclusively for any reason. Amnio was completely out for me due to watching a close friend lose a pregnancy at age 40, 14 weeks along, when her fetus was accidentally nicked. We cried for weeks & it was a risk I was not willing to take.

We plan on having a 20 week ultrasound and will follow the advice of our midwife if anything seems out of line at that point, and I will likely do the glucose challenge test, even though I believe those results to be somewhat flawed as well, but that is it for me.

Pregnancy ticker
iVillage Member
Fri, 09-18-2009 - 6:25pm
I respect your points you mentioned in your post. Just wanted to share a story bout a gal I knew that had testing done with awful results. DR suggested abortion. She opted not to abort. Baby girl born TOTALLY healthy and normal, not one single health issue the tests suggested. I think its good to know that these tests can be very misleading. I'm also living with an abortion in my past. I would just like to share that an abortion will leave you forever wondering "what if" and will not give you peace. And I mention this with the upmost love and respect for you as a "sister" I'm 44 yrs old and expecting #8. I would only opt for the 20 wk ultrasound, nothing more invasive than that for me. I wish you blessings in your goal to become PG!!!! Baby dust!!!

Michael & Renee

10/29/83

DS25,DS23,DD21,DD16

TL 2/93

TLR 10/99

DD8,DS6,DS4

M/C @7 wks 3/03, M/C @13 wks

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-15-2009 - 5:45am

hi im TTC and im 40 and will definately have the tests done im so excited after 10 years of my second marriage my hubby has finally relented and decided to have our 3rd child my two sons are from my first marriage good luck with trying and sending sticky dust your way too

btw i rubbed as many preggy bellies as i could find on the weekend lol

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-14-2009 - 9:26am

Hi, Marissa. I'm Melissa. 8-)

I am soon to be pregnant (read, TTC) and am parking my happy butt right here on the PG 40+ board because I refuse to absorb all the fear and bad news on the TTC 40+ board.

When we get pregnant, I will get testing done because I'm just that type of person -- I need to know what I'm dealing with. I don't do well with surprises.

I flinging sticky baby dust your way and hope you'll do the same for me. I'm 42, soon to be 43 and would love a BFP for my birthday!

~Melissa

~Melissa

Just turned 43 on 10/2/09. Would love a BFP for my birthday in October!

TTC naturally, taking PNV, eating healthy, exercising and charting
Mother to a wonderful son, age 15 1/2

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-13-2009 - 2:39pm

We just found out that we are expecting and having discussed it to death we have decided that we will forgo any of the tests, I know personally I could not end the pregnancy, I love this little wiggly thing already.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-11-2009 - 3:30pm

Thats great.

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-11-2009 - 2:46pm
I just wanted to say my 6 other children's lives have been tremendously enriched with our Esther.
Photobucket

A baby is a gift from God

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-11-2009 - 12:55am

I know the question was , anyone choose not to have testing...

We will do the pre-natal testing. We have 3 other children's lives

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-14-2009 - 2:21pm
Hi Kathy and other moms considering prenatal testing,
I was pregnant with my 3rd child this year but miscarried at 16 weeks. We opted to not have any prenatal tests done due to false positives we received when expecting our first child 13 years ago. We did not have any testing done with our second child. Both our first 2 kids were healthy.
We don't feel we have the right to abort any baby. It is in God's hands to decide which will survive.
If you feel that abortion is not a choice for you either, then why do the testing. None of these tests will change what God has chosen for your baby, regardless of whether healthy or not. False positives or being put in high risk categories just add unnecessary stress and strain to pregnancy. Do yourself and your spouse a favor and just relax, keep thinking positively, and find peace in prayer.
iVillage Member
Sat, 07-04-2009 - 10:33am

hi there,

hope you followed your heart and did what was best for you.. level 2 u/s was what was best for me.. my daughter is a happy healthy 1 yr old

Pages