Spotting and Cramping

iVillage Member
Spotting and Cramping
Fri, 03-20-2009 - 1:37am

Hello,

I'm a little concerned and I don't have my first doctors appt until the end of next week. I found out I was pregnant on my 40th birthday if you can believe it:) One week later, I started spotting brownish blood that looked like old blood. I would cramp like menstrual cramps off and on too. This morning, I wiped and it was red color tinge-ish, but that was only this am and one time. I've been spotting this brown color for the last week and half now, but nothing more than light spotting and no clumps.

Are these cramps and spotting normal? Has this happened to any of you? Could this be an impending miscarriage?

Thanks for your input.

pregnancy
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-20-2009 - 11:56am

Unfortunately the answer is yes to both questions.

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-20-2009 - 5:24pm

About 3am, I woke up to go to the potty, and found some spotting as well.

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-20-2009 - 7:56pm

I have to agree with the PP's. It is really hard to say as when I had a miscarriage, this is what I had. But there have been many women on these boards who have had spotting and cramping early on and then go full term. I would recommend asking to come in earlier so they can do blood work or even a trans-vaginal ultrasound to see what is going on.

Sorry I can't help you with this more (((HUGS)))

Heidi.

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-21-2009 - 8:53pm

I actually saw a nurse midwife yesterday and she said it is very normal during the 5th and 6th weeks to spot and cramp. She also said cramping is normal if it's not accompanied with blood and they don't continue for long periods of time. I feel ok. I haven't spotted in two days, but now the fatigue has set in.

Thank you all for your advice and guidance:)

pregnancy
iVillage Member
Sun, 03-22-2009 - 3:32am
Glad things are looking okay right now. Did they check your progesterone? When I was pregnant at 39 I spotted similar to that from 5 weeks to 9 weeks. By 8 1/2 weeks it had progressed to more of it, and bright red, and they finally put me on progesterone. Within a couple of days it had all stopped and did not return, and my son is now 4. If they haven't already checked that, I would call and ask them to do that. After my experience I learned that often your progesterone production decreases with age, so even if it wasn't a problem before it could be now. Hope all stays settled down for you.

Michelle

Loving Mom to three

Michelle

Loving Mom to three rambunctious 

iVillage Member
Sun, 03-22-2009 - 7:53pm
That is so funny. When I first turned 39, I started to notice weird changes in my body. I was referred to a book by Dr. John Lee by my colleagues at the hospital, called "what your doctor might not tell you about premenopause." I started using the natural progesterone cream and my body went right back into balance! When I have my first blood panel, my hormones are one of the things they're going to check. I believe my levels are very normal or very close to normal b/c of the cream, but we'll soon find out:)
pregnancy
iVillage Member
Sun, 03-22-2009 - 10:42pm
I have no advice for you as this is my first pregnancy in 19 years and I may as well be doing it for the first time. I just know that what you describe would scare the heck out of me and I would get in to see an OB first thing in the morning unless it gets worse tonight, then I'd go to ER.

-------------------------

Paula = 43; Mike = 38; Tubal reversal 12/4/08, one tube reparied; Healthy baby girl born 2/16/10; PG again, EDD 3/18/11!

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-23-2009 - 12:36am
I have that book too, and was already using the cream, but I probably should have increased how much I was using it. I truly believe that if I had not already been using it, I would have lost my son before my doctor decided to do anything about it.

Michelle

Loving Mom to three

Michelle

Loving Mom to three rambunctious 

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-25-2009 - 10:00pm

Hi. What a birthday present! I'm 41. I've been researching like crazy since I found out I am pregnant. My period was due on March 23. I started cramping on March 15th. Thought it was early period. Spotted light brown a few times. Felt "different". Took pregnancy test on 19th, 4 days before period due. Tested positive! Result showed very quickly & very visible. Have cramped every day. Here's what I've found; hope it helps you.

Cramping in Early Pregnancy

Many women get concerned by cramping that they experience in early pregnancy. Some might worry that this is a sign that their pregnancy is not viable and that a miscarriage is on its way. Fortunately, more times than not, that isn’t the case.
Cramping in early pregnancy is not only common but very normal. Some women might feel cramping as soon as seven days after they ovulate. If they are in fact pregnant, then this cramping is called implantation cramping and is the cramping that occurs when the egg attaches itself, or implants, to the uterus. It is not cramping that all women feel, and can be easily unnoticed.
Some women start cramping shortly after they get a positive pregnancy test as their uterus starts preparing to carry a baby for nine months. The uterus is a big organ and as it grows in early pregnancy cramping is expected. If the cramping is constant or too intense for you to handle however it may not be “normal” and you should call your doctor if you feel you need to for reassurance.
Another type of cramping during pregnancy is called round ligament pain. This is cramping that occurs as the muscles under your uterus expand and grow in order to support the weight of your uterus and baby as it grows. This is probably the most complained about cramping in early pregnancy, and one most pregnant women will experience.
Cramping in early pregnancy is usually nothing for a woman to get worried about. Actually you can be comforted by knowing that if minor cramping does occur, then your body is probably preparing as it should to sustain the pregnancy. Cramping can also continue into the second and third trimester as the uterus continues to grow and as the body prepares for labor. But if you ever feel that the cramping is not normal, be sure to call your doctor for advice.