baby hasn´t turned around yet

iVillage Member
baby hasn´t turned around yet
Sun, 05-10-2009 - 7:02am

I only have about five weeks to go and baby still has his head up, with no intention of turning around it seems.

I had a breech birth with DS #3 almost 24 years ago and that was not a very nice experience, certainly not one I´d like to repeat. Out of all five kids so far this birth was by far the hardest.

My OB suggested a planned c-section and I´m not sure what to do.

Has anyone had the same problem? What did you decide to do?

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-05-2009 - 3:09pm

I was in the same situation last year. I did EVERYTHING you could possibly think of. From doing certain movements to flip her and extreme's such as using moxa's sticks to burn the toes (not really "burn", but kinda).

I decided to try the version procedure to see if the doctors could flip her. I had this with an epidural and it was still the most painful thing I've ever experienced. She went into distress and I ended up with a c-section. To watch the version was completley gross. I'm sure I was not the only one in pain. I would NEVER do that again. I would take my c-section and run with it. ;o) But that's just me and the experience I had.

My 2 beautiful daughters Kendra and Sakari:

I am the princess and I rule!I love my new chair

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-20-2009 - 7:35pm

Hi Alexandra,

My son was transverse (sideways)at 37 weeks and they were going to schedule a c-section as this presentation can be dangerous if you go into labour on your own. He turned back at 38 weeks. The baby can turn up until you deliver. Anyway, my understanding with breech is that you can go into labour on your own without scheduling a c-section and as you said, have one in the end if you really need to.

I did have a c-section as my amnio fluid was low, but I didn't have it scheduled. C-sections are still major surgery and the recovery is longer.

All the best,

Heidi.

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-20-2009 - 1:51pm
That's right, I had forgotten that you had a breech birth before, not sure if that would make the decision easier or harder! Whether your baby turns or not, I hope things go very well for you. It won't be too much longer now, how exciting for you!

Michelle

Loving Mom to three

Michelle

Loving Mom to three rambunctious 

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-20-2009 - 12:47pm

My OB has experience with breech birth. If it wouldn´t work they could still do a c-section. With DS #3 I didn´t think so much about this. The doctors said I could try it and I did but compared to my other children´s births that one was really bad.

What I don´t want is a planned c-section two weeks before due-date as my OB suggested. Íf I´ll have a c-section then I´m going to wait (unless medical issues interfere of course).

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-20-2009 - 12:07am
It is interesting how these babies have such a mind of their own! I would not be too keen on either a breech or cesarean birth either, but if your precious little one does not cooperate it looks like you might have to make that difficult decision. If it were me I would talk very seriously with my doctor about breech births, the best positions for successful ones, what happens if they run into more problems, all of that, and then try to make a decision from there. I know my ob with my daughter had considerable experience with breech births from her medical trips to Africa, but thankfully I never had to actually make the decision. I still don't know for sure what I would have decided, but I was leaning toward a breech birth, yet fearful at the same time. Lots of women have had great success either way, but I will still be hoping that your baby turns right quick!

Michelle

Loving Mom to three

Michelle

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-19-2009 - 12:17pm

Hi Michelle, thanks for your answer.

We already tried some of the things you suggested to make him turn but it didn´t work so far. His brother will be 2 years old in a few weeks and we still have all the baby stuff. The nursery is finished, everything is ready for the baby.

My OB would be willing to try a breech birth but I´m not sure I want that.

I never had a c-section before and I´m not keen on that either.

I still hope the little one will turn around in time.

Alexandra

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-11-2009 - 3:30am

My last baby was head up until just 3-4 weeks before her due date, less than a week before she her arrival. I did a lot of reading on things that could help to turn them, and strangely enough I think with her it was an emotional thing! I was not in the slightest prepared for her arrival, I wanted her yes, but I had nothing ready. When I read that they can sense when you are holding back for some reason they will often be breach, I consciously made up my mind that it really didn't matter how prepared I was, I would be thrilled to have her arrive whenever she was ready, plus I even said that out loud to her. I didn't really expect it to work, but within just a couple of days she had turned head down! Knowing her tender nature now, I am not surprised that she picked up on all of that, but I certainly was surprised then!

I know there are also a few other things you can do to encourage them to turn, like using a flashlight on your belly, kneeling at the top of some stairs and carefully lowering yourself until your knees (still at the top of the stairs) are higher than the baby and things like that. Some doctors will sometimes try to turn the baby in utero, some say it is painful and others don't, but the success rate is only about 50% I think. Many will go ahead with a breech birth, depending on the specific position of the feet. I have no idea what I would have done if she had not turned. I know my ob at the time was willing to try to turn her and was also skilled with breech births, I am just not sure what I would have chosen to do and am so thankful that it wasn't an issue. A friend of mine was just recently in your position, and they chose to try to turn the baby, which only worked for about 15 mintues! When that didn't work they chose to go with a c-section and were quite happy with their decision.

I hope your baby turns like mine did, and very soon! I know it all adds stress, not something you really want or need right now.

Michelle

Loving Mom to three

Michelle