2nd trimester miscarriage question

iVillage Member
2nd trimester miscarriage question
Mon, 05-25-2009 - 11:40am

As some of you know, we found out last week at 15 weeks, that our baby is dead.

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-09-2009 - 10:42am

I know I am chiming in late, but thought this may help others who experience the same situation.

I had a m/c at what would have been about 14-15 weeks gestation; however, the baby had stopped growing at 9-10 weeks gestation. The baby was never the appropriate size from the get go and I pretty much knew she was not going to make it.

Anyway, I did go into labor at home. I delivered the baby and sac intact but did have to go to the ER because I was hemorrhaging. I passed another very large clot (grapefruit sized) in the ER after which my bleeding slowed to normal postpartum type bleeding. I think it is pretty common with a 2nd trimester loss to experience the excessive bleeding, and some women will require a D&C for the excess bleeding, however I personally did not need one once I passed the large clot. Had I not passed the clot, I would have needed the D&C.

Colleen (44)
DH (48)
~~~~~~~~~~~
DD#1 (21)
DD#2 (6)
~~~~~~~~~~~
DGD (1-1/2)
DGS (edd 7/29)
Colleen (44) DH (48) TTC#3 ~~~~~~~~~~~ DD#1 (21) DD#2 (6) ~~~~~~~~~~~ DGD (1-1/2) DGS (edd 7/29) ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
iVillage Member
Fri, 06-05-2009 - 1:00pm
{HugS} I'm sooo very sorry to read of your loss. I went thru a m/c at 14 wks last Oct. I found it to be VERY bloody and I even passed out and had to go to the ER.I was SO sick and scard! I was in alot of pain b/c the baby or placenta (we don't know for sure) was wedged in my cervix and causing me great pain and nausea and creating the excess bleeding. The bleeding was what was the scariest of all. I have had two very bloody m/c at home and had to go to the ER now and I have been kind of upset at how the Drs don't seem to take this very seriously. I think a woman should be monitored at least by her MW during this process. This was my experience, and may not be typical. I know there are cases a baby will be retained long after a m/c. I believe there was a story on the internet recently of a woman from another country who is still carrying her baby after 60 yrs?! She was in a 3rd world country w/o proper medical care. But I believe most often the labor begins on its own. I pray that you can do this at home w/o complications and have peaceful closure. I totally understand having been thru this not long ago myself. My baby was also a girl and we named her Eva. Giving her a name really brought healing to our family.

Michael & Renee

10/29/83

DS25,DS23,DD21,DD16

TL 2/93

TLR 10/99

DD8,DS6,DS4

M/C @7 wks 3/03, M/C @13 wks

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-29-2009 - 8:35pm

Hi. I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I truly feel for you as I experienced a loss in my 19th week a couple years ago. I still can remember that day like it was yesterday. Anyway after I found out my baby was no longer alive, I miscarried two weeks later but had to go to the hospital due to hemorrhaging. Sorry if I didn't spell that correctly. After I delivered the baby, I had a D&C.

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-28-2009 - 1:26am
Hi Kim. I am so sorry to hear your news. I'm 14 weeks & that is very disheartening & scary. Your desire for your body to naturally take care of the process is very understandable. Go online & find out what natural herbs induce labor/abortion. I know there are herbs that can help your body naturally finish this process. How do you think women handled this before DNC? There is a natural solution! Again my heart goes out to you & you will be in my prayers.

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-26-2009 - 3:09am

Oh Kim, I am just so sorry for all that you are going through. If they are really considering you in the second trimester, I don't know that they will even really consider a D&C, it could depend on the size of your baby. It should happen naturally, but I know that sometimes it doesn't and that can cause serious trouble. I think there are meds that they can give you to induce labour though, so maybe you could ask the midwife about that.

I completely understand you wanting to have your baby at home, it is very hard, but good too. Hard to explain. I hope things happen for you soon, I cannot imagine waiting like you are. ((((Hugs)))) Praying for you.

Michelle

Loving Mom to three

Michelle

Loving Mom to three rambunctious