CVS vs. Amnio

iVillage Member
CVS vs. Amnio
Wed, 06-24-2009 - 8:28pm

Hello ladies,

I just had my first d/a today and now have a choice between CVS and amnio. I had the amnio with my DS and assumed I would have one this time. The dr. mentioned having CVS because I could get the results sooner. I was just wondering who had done CVS and how it was? What is the recovery like? I am not concerned about the pain of the procedure, my amnio was painless, but anything I need to know? Also has anyone had both CVS and amnio and during different pregnancies and why was the choice made to do the other procedure?

I guess I was thrown a little because I assumed I would do the amnio but the CVS sounds like a deal if I can find out earlier if there might be a problem. I am 41 and had my DS at 38 so the percentages are not getting any better but still pretty darn good all will be okay. It would be nice to know earlier. I haven't had the chance to do much research yet on CVS so I want to make sure the reliability is as good as an amnio. Any information anyone can relay would be good. I am just relieved I made it to my d/a this time. I guess it's time to cross the next bridge.

Julie (41), DH Nino (44), DS Zachary (02-26-07), TTC#2 (m/c 11-26-08 edd 7-04-09 @8wks), BFP 5/23/09 EDD 1/25/10!

Julie (41), DH Nino (44), DS Zachary (02-26-07), TTC#2 (m/c 11-26-08 edd 7-04-09 @8wks), BFP 5/23/09 EDD 1/27/10, C-section and tubal ligation scheduled 01-20-10!!!  Blue Team again..Luke is coming!! 
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-24-2009 - 9:59pm
Hi Julie.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-26-2009 - 12:48am

hi Julie,

Like the others, too busy to send a complete response (see my siggy for why) but my advice is to definitely do the CVS, earlier results are SO worth it.

Shelli, married to Jason for 18 years, mom to Derek(15), Alyssa(12), and Carly (2/26/09)

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-26-2009 - 11:55am

Hi Julie,
I am 40 and had a CVS in April when I was 11 weeks along. Like Shelli, I also have older kids (14 and 12-y-o twins) and it was important for me to know if our baby had challenges before telling our kids they were expecting a sibling. We found out at 5.5 weeks that I was pregnant, so it was a very long time to keep such a secret from them!! I knew I'd never make it to the amnio date without telling anyone, so from the beginning I planned to have the CVS.

The procedure was not a big deal at all. I highly recommend going to a doctor you trust. The doctor who delivered my high-risk twins performed our CVS so I had complete confidence. Guided by ultrasound, they inserted a small catheter and suctioned out a small sample of placental tissue. I watched the whole thing in u/s and you could see the tube was no where near the baby, he was moving around and happy, etc. It was a very quick (5-10 min) procedure. I went home and rested on the couch, but had no bleeding or cramping at all (although that can be normal, too, so don't worry.) That was it!!!! By the next day I resumed normal activities and exercise.

We also opted for the FISH results, and four days later we got the call that our baby was healthy and he is a boy. I can't explain the relief I felt at that moment, it completely changed the pregnancy for me and finally made it real. I am now 22 weeks and have been able to relax and enjoy the pregnancy without worry. (FYI, CVS does not test for neural tube defects such as spina bifida. If that is a concern you may want to wait for the amnio.)

Prenatal testing is a very personal decision. For us, it was 100% the right thing to do. My sister had her first at 39 and had no desire to test, and that was the right decision for them. I do feel the CVS is very safe and I wouldn't let the minute risk of miscarriage stop you from getting one if other factors in your situation are telling you to test.

Good luck, congrats, and please keep us posted!!!

On another note, I just wanted to tell Shelli I am glad to see you posting here and your kids are gorgeous! You were about to deliver right when I found out I was pregnant, and I felt a kinship since our kids are similarly aged. I am happy to hear it all went well. All my fears that my kids would revolt or freak out when finding out we were pregnant were completely unfounded, they are so excited already!!! Was it hard going back to middle of the night feedings and lack of sleep? I think I'm worried about that the most :-)

Chris

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-26-2009 - 8:17pm

Joan, Shelli and Chirs,

Julie (41), DH Nino (44), DS Zachary (02-26-07), TTC#2 (m/c 11-26-08 edd 7-04-09 @8wks), BFP 5/23/09 EDD 1/27/10, C-section and tubal ligation scheduled 01-20-10!!!  Blue Team again..Luke is coming!! 
iVillage Member
Sun, 06-28-2009 - 5:45pm

Hey Chris, it is getting better.

Shelli, married to Jason for 18 years, mom to Derek(15), Alyssa(12), and Carly (2/26/09)