Induction Question

iVillage Member
Induction Question
Tue, 07-14-2009 - 6:32pm

I have not posted in a really long time.

pregnancy
iVillage Member
Sat, 07-25-2009 - 11:50pm

Wow, no pain meds.

pregnancy
iVillage Member
Sat, 07-25-2009 - 11:46pm

Thank you for the response.

pregnancy
iVillage Member
Sat, 07-25-2009 - 6:54pm

I like the idea of a "planned " delivery, but If I choose to

Mindy

Expecting a Turkey Baby -11/28

My baby has grown so big in the last two weeks that

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-23-2009 - 9:30pm

Hi Karen.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-15-2009 - 5:14pm

I guess that all depends on what kind of induction you would end up with. With my oldest I started on my own but he was showing signs of stress and I was going too slowly for him. They put me on pitocin. I went from not really feeling any of the contractions to very painful ones, only about a minute apart. He was born three hours later, only a little laughing gas, no other meds. I felt out of control the whole time, I was never able to work up to them since the painful ones came on so fast. He was three weeks early.

The next one, 9 yrs later, I ended up a week overdue and they induced me, just using the gel on my cervix. That was enough to get things started. The contractions were probably still stronger than without any meds, but I made it through without any painkillers despite the fact it was all in my back. I had a great nurse who showed DH the right spot to press to relieve the pain. Just over 3 hrs from the gel, 2 1/2 hours of labour and we were done.

With my last, 2 yrs later, they were going to induce me at 38 weeks because of my GD. I was in for an NST the week before and my doctor stripped the membranes. I started some contractions that day, but all settled down, then they started up again the next night, and I went to the hospital in the morning. She was stuck face up or things would have gone MUCH faster. As it was, I went in as soon as I was sure it was labour and she still took another 6 hours, but that was because she was stuck. But, there were no meds used to induce me and my labour was SO much easier than the other two, even though it was in my back that time too. I never had any painkiller that time either, never even got to the point of thinking about it, unlike the first two where I did ask but then either decided against it or it was too late.

There are lots of things you can do naturally to help encourage labour without having them actually induce you. Even if you need to be induced, doing these things will help to make sure your body is really ready for it. The last time I used evening primrose oil, both orally and vaginally for about 3 weeks prior to delivery. Don't use it vaginally until you are close to term though, you don't want to encourage things too soon. Evening primrose oil softens your cervix and gets it ready for labour, it won't induce labour. You can also talk to your doctor about stripping membranes when you get close. I know it is hard when trying to plan around children, that was our situation too. However, the less medication you can have the better it is for both you and the baby. At least that is how I feel about it.

Bottom line is that you have to make the choice that is right for you. Don't make it because you feel pressured one way or the other. Ask yourself what you would wish you had done, and then go with that. I hope things go easily for you, it is getting closer everyday!

Michelle

Loving Mom to three

Michelle

Loving Mom to three rambunctious 

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-15-2009 - 11:26am

I have had 5 children and all were induced. My latest, a year ago, I really wanted to go natural. Like you say, it would have been more exciting. My blood pressure was high so the doctor thought it best to induce. I was 10 days before my due date.

I am a pro with being induced now. I never took any medication or epidural for any of the deliveries. Once the doc broke my water the baby was born within 3 hours. ( last 4 deliveries )

Being induced is great, as you can plan every detail. Hope that helps. Good luck

Photobucket 4th
Photobucket