Anyone Hosting Thanksgiving?

iVillage Member
Anyone Hosting Thanksgiving?
Sat, 11-21-2009 - 9:59am

Can you believe it? Thanksgiving is almost here! Where did this year go?!?! Are there any Moms or Moms-to-be out there who's taking on the challenge of hosting Thanksgiving dinner this year? How many are you cooking for and what's on your menu?

Sadly, we won't be celebrating the American Thanksgiving this year since we live in Canada and my husband and all his family are Canadian (the Canadian Thanksgiving is in October). Sometimes we cook a turkey and celebrate the American Thanksgiving but there's just too much going on this year. Oh, how I miss the family gatherings and delicious food and cheer. For some reason, the Canadian Thanksgiving isn't as big of a deal to Canadians and the American Thanksgiving is to Americans. So for that reason, I miss it even more... Please share your plans!

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sat, 11-21-2009 - 10:08am

I'm hosting in that it's at my house.

iVillage Member
Sat, 11-21-2009 - 10:12am
I am on bedrest so everyone has to come here ~ so I ordered the entire meal since I can't cook and they are all coming in from out of town and

~ Jodi ~

iVillage Member
Sat, 11-21-2009 - 8:45pm
That sounds like the ideal situation for you! I hope the weather is nice and you're able to enjoy the parade. Please let us know how your day goes, especially since I'm living vicariously through you ladies for Thanksgiving this year. : )

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sat, 11-21-2009 - 8:49pm
Wow, what a great plan you have! Oh, I'm so with you about in-laws cooking in your kitchen. That would absolutely cause me much distress, too, LOL! Please let us know how your food was. I'd also love to hear where you ordered from and what you ordered. What a great idea! I love to cook (and eat!) so the whole food thing is completely captivating for me. Enjoy!

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sun, 11-22-2009 - 9:16pm

I've decided to start a new tradition beginning with this year.

Since everyone in the extended family has to usually be somewhere else due to marriages, remarriages, moving away, etc., it always seems like the whole family can never get together on the "actual" holidays of Thanksgiving and Christmas.

So I am hosting a "Holiday Dinner" on December 5th, so that both sets of grandparents, cousins, nieces, nephews, etc. (as well as a couple of friends and their family) can come together for a big dinner.

I'm really psyched---and because it is NOT on an actual holiday, everyone can make it!

I'm making the traditional turkey, mashed potatoes, green beans, cranberry sauce, rolls, etc., and I have "assigned" everyone else who is coming certain dishes to make (like my mom is bringing stuffing, my niece corn, my MIL sweet potatoes, etc.).