Hows your physicians handling your care?

iVillage Member
Hows your physicians handling your care?
Thu, 01-14-2010 - 7:30pm

I have a question for my 40 year old friends.

iVillage Member
Wed, 01-27-2010 - 3:00pm
I hope that 1.5 hour trip doesn't become part of your routine.
iVillage Member
Tue, 01-26-2010 - 5:44pm
Glad everything looks good with you. My OB people are being responsive but not overly so. I'm kind of between two OB offices right now. My local office sent me to a high-risk pregnancy center that's 1.5 hours from where I live, but that doctor said I may not need to go there for my entire pregnancy. I have another apptmt in two wks and will decide after that whether to continue going there the whole time. When it comes to the end of the pregnancy, they like to see patients every week, so that might become difficult. On the other hand, I want the best care possible.
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-26-2010 - 4:18pm

I am 44, and really haven't been treated so differently by my doc than when I gave birth at age 29.

I personally requested CVS testing, level 2 US, an echocardiogram of baby's heart.

I am due in 4 weeks, and am still being monitored just as usual.

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-25-2010 - 10:20am

cc,

I'm 10 1/2 - 11 wks (its slightly annoying right now that I have two estimates) and I've already had two ultrasounds, but only because the first one was done so early it was "inconclusive" so I had to go back just before Christmas to make sure it wasn't an ectopic pregnancy. Everythign's on track now and I have another appt coming up Feb 11. I'm trying to find out if they're planning to do an ultrascan then, because it's kind of on the far end of the time frame when they like to do them, on the other hand, the results won't change my decision as long as nothing life-threatening is found. I will avoid amnio or other invasive screening if it isn't necessary.

Good luck with your apptmt.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 01-20-2010 - 3:34pm
My early care was no different that what they do for younger patients. I did have the blood tests and the perinatologist was there for the U/S at 12 weeks and 20 weeks. (All the test results were really good.) Everything else will be as normal until I get close to term, then I will have weekly checks and NST to make sure things are ok. Also, they won't let me go past my due date, which is totally fine with me!
Generate Your Own Glitter Graphics @ GlitterYourWay.com - Image hosted by ImageShack.us
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

family

Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge Ticker
iVillage Member
Sat, 01-16-2010 - 8:14pm

My OB didn't see me until 10 weeks either and I am 46.

Carol, mom to 7

iVillage Member
Sat, 01-16-2010 - 12:02am
My doc thinks AMA is a crock, lol. She does talk more about testing b/c there are some bigger risks with genetic defects, but in general, nope...she treats you all the same until something otherwise comes up (which is generally not age related). I find that reassuring frankly.

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-15-2010 - 5:13am

My OB doesn't see anyone before 9 or 10 weeks, AMA or not.

iVillage Member
Thu, 01-14-2010 - 9:08pm
Hi Carol. My OB doesn't do anything differently with me than he does with his other non-AMA patients. He's a big proponent of genetic testing for his AMA patients, but he's not overbearing about it; he suggests it, then lets his patients make their own decision about whether they want it. I'm also a Type 1 diabetic so I do a few additional blood tests for him but that's not really age-related. He generally won't see his pregnant patients until they're at least eight weeks along so I don't think 10 weeks is that unreasonable (I've heard of other women who's OB's won't see them until about 10 weeks). At my last appointment he said to me "You're an easy high risk patient." I took it as a compliment. : ) Not sure if he was referring to my diabetes, my age, or both, but I was happy to hear him say that. This is my third child (all of which were carried and born since I was 36) and he was my care provider for all of them. Fortunately we have a good rapport and doctor/patient relationship. I think each doctor's a little different in how they treat AMA patients and I suspect that they take lots of factors into consideration such as the patient's overall general health, history of previous pregnancies and/or deliveries, etc.. If you're worried that you're not getting the care or treatment you think you should be, maybe come right out and ask him at your next appointment if care for an AMA patient is any different than care for a younger patient. It's probably a good thing that he's not doing anything different for you -- it means he thinks things are lookin' good for you and baby. All just my very humble opinion, of course. : )

Photobucket

Photobucket