things that are starting to tick me off!

iVillage Member
things that are starting to tick me off!
Wed, 01-20-2010 - 12:14pm

Sorry - this is going to be a vent...

So, I am sure I am not alone in this and I still have months to go but some things people are says are really starting to tick me off.

Susan L.

Robert Edward Xavier Lin - Born July 31, 2010 at 5:56AM, 6 pounds 4 ounces and 19 inches long. He spent 2 weeks in the NICU but he's doing great now!
iVillage Member
Wed, 01-20-2010 - 12:35pm

hi Susan

I am totally with you -- I am only nearly 11 weeks, so haven't shared the news with too many, but I am already getting the sense that people will be quite nosy/bossy when a pregnant woman is on the other end of the conversation.

In fact, I'm sort of enjoying keeping things a secret for as long as possible, simply because I'm not looking forward to hearing all of the "good advice" I know will be coming my way -- especially because this is my first and I am 42 yrs old!

:-)

iVillage Member
Wed, 01-20-2010 - 1:16pm

I just saw a story this morning that you might appreciate:

Please Shut Up About My Pregnancy

http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/thehumancondition/archive/2010/01/15/until-we-have-better-science-please-shut-up-about-my-pregnancy-pinot-grigot.aspx

When I decided to have my first child, my friends who were already parents warned me that I’d soon have someone constantly making demands of me, someone who didn’t care about my autonomy, dignity, or privacy. Sadly, they didn’t mean the baby. As soon as I began showing, my health was no longer solely my business. Strangers looked askance at my Starbucks cup (no matter that it was filled with decaf) and my plate of sushi (never mind that I had the OK from my OB, the chief of maternal-fetal medicine at Massachusetts General Hospital). When they weren’t criticizing me for gaining too much weight, they were carping that I hadn’t gained enough. I met a brand-new acquaintance for dinner at an upscale Cambridge, Mass., restaurant. Halfway through the meal, he looked at me and said, “So, have you started lactating?”

reena050809.jpg 0809 picture by reena102

iVillage Member
Wed, 01-20-2010 - 3:06pm

I'm afraid there will be a lot more comments from people that are going to tick you off (just speaking from my own experiences). My own Mom drives me crazy with some of the things she says or asks me. Namely, "How big are you now?" (we live 15 hours apart from each other). What bothers me about her constant question is that I don't think she's referring to my belly but to my weight. Although I've always been quite thin, I get downright fat when I'm pregnant. She knows (or at least she SHOULD know) how concious I am about my weight so why does she continue to focus on that?!?!?!? Drive me nuts. I suppose that in some way it's her way of trying to show her interest in my pregnancy but there are other less bothersome, offensive ways in my humble opinion. Hugs to you. Hang in there.

This just popped into my mind: with my first child, a co-worker actually asked me (in front of about 4 other co-workers) if my baby was planned. Really!

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 01-20-2010 - 5:08pm

Hi Susan

Okay i will join in because during this entire pregnancy there has been one theme that people seem to join in quite vigourously I may add and that would be the" how old you will be when....

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 01-20-2010 - 8:57pm

I've gotten a lot of "better you than me!", "Did you WANT this?" and "What, wasn't 3 kids enough?".

iVillage Member
Thu, 01-21-2010 - 4:47pm

I love your come back! I think boys are so much fun! I am thrilled that I will have two boys and a girl.

I only get the comments about how close in age my babies will be- 16 months apart. Since I am so freaked out by that, though, that I barely register anyone else's responses to it!

Even though I am already huge, I rarely get strangers commenting on my belly. With DD, I couldn't go anywhere without constant comments on my obvious pg. Maybe I look less approachable- could be the big old circles under my eyes!

Generate Your Own Glitter Graphics @ GlitterYourWay.com - Image hosted by ImageShack.us
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

family

Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge Ticker
iVillage Member
Fri, 01-22-2010 - 10:58am

Some people have no tact.