The Dreaded Phone Call

iVillage Member
The Dreaded Phone Call
Thu, 02-04-2010 - 4:30pm

This afternoon, when I got home from running errands with the 2 little ones, I had the dreaded phone message on my answering machine that I have been anxiously awaiting.

"Hi Valerie. This is Dr. So and So. I need to talk to you about the results of your latest bloodwork (that damn triple/quad screen test). Please call me back on my pager and leave your #. If I don't hear back from you this afternoon, I will call you tonight."

WTH...what is soooo urgent that if she didn't hear back from me this PM she would have to talk to me TONIGHT?!!! This doesn't sound good.

So, I paged her and haven't heard back. I've been doing tons of research on the net and seem to keep finding that the Triple Screen is supposed to be done between the 15th and 20th week of pregnancy.

My bloodwork was drawn last week when I was only 12weeks 3days...I'm hanging on to hope that this could make a difference.

I had the bloodwork done the same day as my NT ultrasound which appeared good, but the sonographer was evasive.

I have had both of these tests (the NT ultrasound and the triple screen) performed at age 34 and 36 and both were normal results. I went on to deliver healthy babies in both cases.

A girlfriend told me that her triple screen came back positive and that she thought the results were screwy b/c they were based on hormone levels of women from all age groups and not just the over 35 (or in my case over 40) age group. She was 37 at the time and went on to deliver a healthy boy.

I'm just sick with dread! Any words of advice?

Val

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-04-2010 - 4:55pm

Hi there. If you had the NT u/s done, then you probably had blood work for the First Trimester Screen, which can be done at 12 weeks, not the Quad Screen. They take the results of the NT measurement and the blood work and combine it for a risk factor ratio. This is the test that most women have done now, especially those of us over 35 or 40.

So that probably

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-04-2010 - 6:28pm

Thank you for that information.

Although now, I think I'm even more sick with dread if the triple screen can be done at 12 weeks.

The OB (not my regular doc as she is out this week) on call has not returned my page...she made it sound so urgent.

I'll post with an update when she does call.

Valerie

P.S. I am so sorry for your 2 losses. We have had several miscarriages (5 in all), but always at 6-8 weeks, never in the 2nd trimester. I can't even imagine your pain. We suffer from male-factor infertility so that was attributed to our early losses. Our firstborn was conceived via in vitro while our 2nd born was a spontaneous conception as was this pregnancy.

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-04-2010 - 7:59pm

I've been thinking of you this evening. Any word yet? I sure hope she has called and that it's nothing to urgent. I know how hard the waiting is.

((((HUGS))))

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-04-2010 - 8:24pm

Hi Kathy (?..Kathy and kids)

Thank you so much for thinking of me! Your prayers must be working, b/c I've been feeling a sense of calm.

Dr. Stone called and was so very kind. The first time she called was from the hospital and she just wanted me to know that she got my page and that she wanted to go to her office so that she had my chart in front of her. She wanted to make sure she was talking to the right family about the right test results! I appreciated that!!!

About 15 minutes later she called back and my husband was able to be on the line.

Okay...here are my results:

AFP came back high and positive for increased risk for Down's Syndrome. The results for my age (40) are typically 1:56...my results were 1:17.

Screening for Trisomy 18 came back negative.

Oddly, I'm at peace with this. Not to say that it is any cake walk carrying a Down's Syndrom pregnancy to term...avoiding any additional issues like heart defects, etc., but as an educator I feel equipped to handle raising a special needs kiddo. I don't feel adequately equipped to handle carrying a baby to term that has chromosomal abnormalities incompatible with life. That being said, I think we rise to whatever occasion we are called to handle.

They are concerned b/c the NT ultrasound was great; they saw nothing that indicated Down's Syndrome, but are now referring us to a perinatologist for a 2nd high resolution u/s.

Interestingly, both of our NTs (Mary b/c she was in vitro and Ben b/c I was 37) were completed at the perinatologist. This is the first time that I had an NT performed in the OBs office by a general sonographer. I would have preferred seeing the peri to begin with...I'm sure it all has to do with the world of insurance and cost-management.

So, I'll be in touch with the OB scheduling office tomorrow AM to get the u/s scheduled with the peri.

Thanks again for your thoughts and prayers,

Valerie

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-04-2010 - 8:32pm

Sorry...error on my part.

I think she said that my lab results came back elevated. She did not specifically mention AFP. Apparently, according to my research, risk for Down's shows a LOW AFP. Oh well.

Anyway, just wanted to correct myself!

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-04-2010 - 9:40pm
Valerie - thank you so much for updating us. I know how difficult it's been for you waiting to get results. I'm thrilled to hear that you're at peace with what you know so far, which is still very inconclusive. I'll continue to keep you in my thoughts until you know something more. Any idea when you'll be able to get in to see the perinatologist for another u/s? Best wishes to you.

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-05-2010 - 10:24am

I'm glad that you got to talk with the doc. The first trimester screen uses the hormones beta hcg and papp a and I believe a few other things, but those are the two biggies

iVillage Member
Sat, 02-06-2010 - 1:51pm

Hi. I have the same numbers but opposite. 1-17 for tri 18.

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-09-2010 - 12:50pm

Hi Marissa. How are you? You've constantly been on my mind b/c our numbers are eerily similar, but just for different trisomies.

Was your amnio today? How long until results? Same day?

Sending lots of prayers your way,

Valerie