Baby Essentials

iVillage Member
Baby Essentials
Fri, 02-05-2010 - 10:37am

I sent my hubby a list of things I absolutely, positively want to have on hand before baby gets here. I'm sure there are other items equally as important and/or necessary for other moms to have, so I was wondering what they are. Having two young girls already, I have some things; other things we've chosen to go without. We're not using a crib (didn't use one with our two year old) and we may or may not buy a swing. Either way, even if I decide I want one, it's not something I feel I MUST HAVE before his arrival. So here's my list (it doesn't include some obvious things like infant car seat, stroller, onesies/clothing, etc.):

- 5 Adiri Natural Nurser bottles (I've done my research and based on what I've read and heard, they're clearly the next best thing to the breast. They've gotten great reviews by Moms everywhere -- aside from women claiming they leak, something I can live with). I'm hoping Dad and others will be able to feed Baby Boy more frequently than the girls were fed by others; they wanted the boob or nothing so I'm hoping the Adiri Nurser will be my answer to this... : )
- 3 Adiri Natural Nurser Warmers (they don't come with the bottles and must be purchased separately)
- Moby Wrap baby carrier in Lilac (Must be Lilac, LOL : ))
- New tubing for my Medela Pump-In-Style breast pump (our former dog chewed through the tubing two years ago...)
- 5 packs of breast milk bags
- HE Baby detergent; I don't care what brand it is...
- A baby bath chair (not sure what the technical name is). I don't want to bend over the tub to bathe Little Man (not comfortable doing that with Eva running around) and I'd rather not bathe him in a big bowlin the kitchen sink like I did with Eva

So what do you consider to be essential? I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts and ideas -- maybe there's something I missed that I really will need...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-05-2010 - 1:21pm

I won't have much ready.

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-05-2010 - 4:53pm

The items at the top of my list are all the little things that you invariably most need at

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-05-2010 - 5:55pm
Don't have most essentials yet, but just had donated to me: a swing, a changing table, a bassinet, and a high chair. They're being kept at a friend's house until I'm better situated. In my book, those are all essentials or close, so it's not a bad start considering I don't have to pay
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-05-2010 - 8:27pm

A few things I have made sure to get:

* mylicon (gas reducer)

* a bunch of onesies

* a boppy to support baby while I BF (holding baby aggravates my carpal tunnels)

I still don't have a stroller, a diaper bag or a rocking chair.

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-05-2010 - 9:50pm
It's so great to hear someone say they feel like "a pro" referring to be a Mom! Wow, that's just inspiring! I can't say I feel like a pro but I'm certainly more confident now than I was with my first and even my second. OK, maybe not a pro but possibly a semi-pro. : )

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-05-2010 - 9:54pm

Thanks for all of the great ideas.

WeeMee Profile Image

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-05-2010 - 9:57pm

Melinda, I think you're wise making sure you have all the 3 a.m. stuff on hand! Great idea! Don't forget the infants' Tylenol. I think I have most of that stuff on hand (leftovers from my two year old) but since you mentioned it, I'm going to check and stock up on whatever I'm out of.

Yes, I couldn't agree with you more about a baby wrap/sling -- that's one thing on my list I'm not willing to go without! With an active two year old to chase after, I have a feeling I'll be wearing Baby Boy a lot, too! I found a site that compares wraps, slings, and carriers and based on that, I decided to go with the Moby Baby Wrap. Here's the link to the comparison if you want to check it out. Have fun looking at all the interesting choices, patterns, and materials.

http://www.peppermint.com/comparison.html

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-05-2010 - 10:01pm
Wow, you're off to a great start, for sure! We had a few people offer to give us their baby equipment and furniture (i.e., swing, crib, and bassinet) but they haven't mentioned it again since first offering it to us five months ago. So for now, I think we'll just assume that means the offer is off the table. No biggee, but wow, you're very fortunate to receive those items at absolutely no cost -- they're big ticket items, for sure! Have fun choosing the smaller essentials; hopefully it'll be fun for you and not feel like a chore since so many of the larger items are already taken care of.

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-05-2010 - 10:06pm
It sounds like you're well on your way. We actually bought a double stroller this past September (right after we found out I was pregnant) for $25 at a yard sale (I think we'll need it since we also have a two year old). It's a side-by-side (my preference is for an in-line double stroller) but for $25, I'll make it work. We also picked up a Bumbo and a bouncy chair for $25 (for both) at the same yard sale. I guess none of these are essentials for when the baby is brought home, but they'll be needed at some point within a few months of bringing him home so I'm happy to have scored them. Mylicon - what a great idea! I didn't know that could be used on newborns. Thanks for the tip; I'll have to check it out.

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sat, 02-06-2010 - 8:12am
It's so great to come here and have voices of experience to help guide those of us going through this for the first time. It's all new to me,
Photobucket

Pages