high cholesterol

iVillage Member
high cholesterol
Sat, 02-13-2010 - 2:04pm

Don't know how I missed it, but looking through some mail, I just came across a blood work report from my doctors office from not quite a month ago advising my cholesterol is a bit on the high side. I then read that this is common during pregnancy. I believe I had it checked in the 6 months before I became pregnant and it was about 15 points lower. I don't know if I should be concerned by this. The thing is, I already try hard to include a good amount of fiber in my diet, and I don't eat any meat besides fish (which of course I've been more careful about now, esp kinds that tend to be high in mercury). I have increased my intake of dairy during pregnancy but have tried not to overdo it with the high-fat cheeses. The report suggested eating more nuts and whole grains, however I already eat quite a bit of whole grains and nuts at least a couple times a week. I'm not really sure if I should try to change my diet much at this point, cause I felt I've been

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sat, 02-13-2010 - 3:04pm
Hi Karen. Good for you for being so proactive about this! I don't know if this will help you or not since your diet is already rich in high fiber foods, but a friend of mine had slightly elevated high cholesterol and started making a batch of bran muffins every week. She eats one each morning for breakfast and takes a short but brisk walk 4 - 5 times a week. Since she implemented this routine, her cholesterol came down by 8%. I personally never battled this but thought I'd share what worked for someone I know well. The good news is it sounds like your numbers aren't too high or else your doc would've contacted you (I would think) to discuss more serious measures to take. I look forward to seeing what other posters have to offer. Best wishes and please keep us posted.

Photobucket

Photobucket