CVS, Amnio or Neither??

Avatar for dabutler
iVillage Member
Registered: 08-12-2003
CVS, Amnio or Neither??
9
Wed, 02-24-2010 - 4:28pm

Just wondering what decision others have made about doing CVS and amnio.

Pregnancy%20ticker
Avatar for dabutler
iVillage Member
Registered: 08-12-2003
Tue, 03-02-2010 - 11:15am

Thank you all for your input.

Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Registered: 01-23-2010
Thu, 02-25-2010 - 11:07pm

I agree, it's a very individual choice. I have chosen to have the

Photobucket


iVillage Member
Registered: 03-31-2007
Thu, 02-25-2010 - 9:11pm

Hi Donna,


I'm Carol and I am currently 46.

Carol, mom to 7

iVillage Member
Registered: 10-24-2009
Thu, 02-25-2010 - 6:07pm

Hi, congratulations on your pregnancy!


I had an amnio with this one only after my NT results came back iffy.

iVillage Member
Registered: 04-27-2006
Wed, 02-24-2010 - 9:51pm

Donna,


We opted for an amnio, primarily because I'm 43 and have had only m/c's thus far (4 total).

WeeMee Profile Image

iVillage Member
Registered: 03-05-2008
Wed, 02-24-2010 - 8:33pm
Hi Donna. This is such a personal thing. Every woman's and every family is so different so it's hard to know what the "right" thing to do is. There are actually several posts about this very topic; if you look through the "Question and Concerns" section of this board, you'll find a myriad of responses to your very question about genetic testing. Each response is what was "right" for that woman and her family. No matter what you decide, best wishes to you. I think you'll find tons of perspective and insight in this thread as well as the previous ones (some of which are pretty recent). Best wishes to you.

Photobucket



Photobucket

iVillage Member
Registered: 02-15-2010
Wed, 02-24-2010 - 6:46pm

Hi Donna,


We also have a large family so I understand your concerns for your older children.


We have done an amnio in the past, but this time I am leaning towards just doing the First Trimester Screen, that Valerie mentioned (we did that last time as well as the amnio) and just going from there. If the risk is lower than age related risk, and the level 2 u/s looks good, we will probably just stop with that.


My perinatologist is willing to do a level 2 at 16 weeks and then if they can't get a good view of everything have me come back nearer to the normal 20 weeks. But this gives us more time to decide, depending on the information we receive.


Good Luck to you, it's not an easy decision.

iVillage Member
Registered: 10-20-2009
Wed, 02-24-2010 - 5:51pm

You have to do what you are comfortable with.

Susan L.



Robert Edward Xavier Lin - Born July 31, 2010 at 5:56AM, 6 pounds 4 ounces and 19 inches long. He spent 2 weeks in the NICU but he's doing great now!
iVillage Member
Registered: 12-08-2009
Wed, 02-24-2010 - 5:51pm

Hello Donna.

First off, congratulations on your pregnancy. I've been off and on lately and so I'm not sure that I saw your original post/introduction and I don't think I introduced myself to you.

My name is Valerie. I am 40 and will turn 41 just a few weeks shy of delivering #3. My first baby was a medical miracle thru the gift of in vitro and our 2nd baby was what the specialists refer to as a "bonus" baby...no medical intervention necessary! Baby #3 also is a "bonus"!!! We are beyond thrilled considering we also have 5 little souls in heaven.

Anyway, my 2nd comment is regarding your questions about CVS, amnio, or neither. At this time, my husband and I are opting for neither.

At 12W3D I went for a Level 2/NT Ultrasound where they measure the neck fold. That same day they also drew blood for a NT blood work screen (essentially the "triple screen" but done earlier than the traditional test.

We received a phone call that my blood work came back elevated for Trisomy 21 or Down Syndrome. This was not a diagnosis, just a risk assessment. Regardless, I was a mess for several days. After much research, a visit to a perinatologist for a follow-up Level 2 u/s and much prayer, my husband and I came to the agreement of no invasive testing. Primarily b/c we have such a high risk of m/c (due to male-factor infertility) and any baby in the right spot, growing normally is a miracle for us. The peri told me my odds of complications/mc were 1 in 250 with the amnio.

Now, the NT bloodwork screening also checks for spina bifida and Trisomy 18 (Edwards Syndrome) which, unfortunately, is not compatible with life. I think if my blood work had come back elevated for Trisomy 18, I might have considered doing the amnio b/c as you said, there is the preparation of other children/spouse to consider.

I am returning to the peri at 21 weeks for another Level 2 u/s to look for soft-tissue markers for Down's and this is good enough for me. If they do see markers than I am just going to prepare myself for whatever needs to happen for a safe delivery of a DS kiddo and what services are available to me, but still forgo the amnio. The amnio will only confirm chromosome 21 in triplicate, but will not tell me the severity of the diagnosis. For me, the confirmation of DS will occur at delivery.

I know that others need to know sooner...that they want either the peace of mind while still pregnant that they are carrying a "normal" chromosomal baby or that they get confirmation of a chromosomal/genetic defect and can begin preparing their minds, hearts, homes, etc.

I don't think there is a right or wrong decision...only the decision that is best for you and your family.

Good luck, and again congratulations!

Valerie