Spanish first name?

iVillage Member
Spanish first name?
Sun, 03-07-2010 - 7:35am

Partly because neither of the two potential dads are involved at this point, and the paternity is still likely to be uncertain at birth, I'm planning to give the baby my last name (which is Italian). But I know both potiential dads are

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sun, 03-07-2010 - 11:11am

I'd say give your child a name that you love and don't worry about the rest, but, then it's never been part of my nature to fret about being judged by other people.

I don't think giving your child a Spanish name is pretentious at all, and it's great that you want to keep the baby in touch with his or her heritage.

iVillage Member
Sun, 03-07-2010 - 12:36pm
Thanks for the very good advice. Guess eventually I'll end up sharing here whatever name I choose. Since I don't know the gender yet (and even once I have a prediction it's still not 100% definite), I've started a list of both boy and girl names
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sun, 03-07-2010 - 8:25pm

What a great idea to try to incorporate both sides of the baby's heritage. I think it'll be something he or she will greatly appreciate in his or her teen/adult years. There are two name boards here on iVillage. I used them when my husband and I were trying to find and agree on names for Eva and I found them to be so incredibly resourceful. Some the regulars there are so knowledgeable about names that besides just offering suggestions, they offer the heritage, root derivative, and meaning of the names they offer. Maybe check them out to see what ideas they have for Spanish names. I look forward to hearing what name(s) you choose for you little one -- whether it be before his/her arrival or after. Good luck and have fun. The links to the two name boards are below just in case you want to check them out.

Baby Names: Beyond the Trends
http://messageboards.ivillage.com/iv-psbabynames

Baby Names:
http://messageboards.ivillage.com/iv-psbabynames

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-08-2010 - 7:08am
Thanks for those links. I've used several baby names finders, but hadn't been to either of these boards, so I'll check them out before finalizing my list.
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-08-2010 - 6:00pm

Hi Karen.

I think it's a beautiful idea to incorporate both sides of babies heritage in the naming. Especially, if you are able to find Spanish names that you feel have a lovely tone and quality about them.

Funny thing with us...we started this baby-naming trend after family members and Biblical connections (which I loved at first), but now I feel obligated to continue the trend. Also, b/c my husband and I named our children after OUR grandparents (not the babies' grandparents) our children have gently-old fashioned names. And now that I'm considering names with a more contemporary feel, the three just don't seem to ring well together!

We've got a Mary Catherine (after her great-grandmother) and a Benjamin Paul (after a great grandfather), but I'm NOT naming another girl "Armella" or a second boy "Hank". Just not gonna happen! LOL

I'm gonna have to check out the links that Joan provided...I'm in need of some desperate baby-naming help...although I think that my husband and I agree on either Faith or Grace for a girl middle name since we relied on both those gifts after our decade-long struggle with infertility.

Good luck with the baby-name decision making,

Valerie

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-08-2010 - 8:12pm

I'm only half Italian, and my father is second generation so he never spoke fluent Italian. My mother is English, Scottish, and Dutch, so I could still conceivably give the

Photobucket