Weight gain?

iVillage Member
Weight gain?
Fri, 03-12-2010 - 6:42pm

I weighed myself the other day and have gained about 10 lbs since early pregnancy. My recommended weight gain for the pregnancy overall is 15-20 lbs., so halfway through I seem to be on target at least not to exceed the recommendation (though I think it's likely I'll be up more than 15 lbs by the end). My question is, is it typical to basically gain at a steady pace during pregnancy, or does weight gain sometimes accelerate in the second half? I know our CL said, in response to my other post about my protruding belly, that the baby's rate of growth usually slows during the 3rd trimester, but that may be slightly different than actual weight gain. On the other hand, I've heard that while appetite often increases during the 2nd and early 3rd trimester, it sometimes decreases in the last month.

I already wanted to drop a few pounds pre-pregnancy, so I definitely would like not to gain more than

Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
In reply to: karen2010
Fri, 03-12-2010 - 8:46pm

You don't need to gain anything in the 1st Trimester, and if you are aiming for 15-20 lbs I've read it's best if you don't gain any more than 2-3 lbs in the 1T. In the second and third trimesters you are supposed to gain at a slow and steady rate, about 1/2 lb a week at the target you are looking at (about a pound a week for women that start at a normal weight and aiming for 25-35 lbs gain total). So the answer to your question from what I've read is yes, the gain generally accelerates in the second half, since most or all of the gain should ideally be in the 2T and 3T. But some women gain more than others in the 1T because they are eating constantly to ward off morning sickness, while others even lose weight due to the nausea and vomiting. But from what I've read once the weight is on it is on and you shouldn't try to "make up" for gaining more than ideal early by restricting diet later when the baby needs it most. All you can do is focus on the quality and nutrient density of food (boneless skinless chicken breast instead of cheeseburgers, skim milk instead of milkshakes, fruit instead of cookies). The higher the nutrient density of the food you eat the less calories you can eat (and the less weight you can gain) and still keep the baby well nourished.

I gained about 25-30 lbs (ugh) over 3 years of fertility treatments, so I don't need or want to gain much in this pg. My goal is 11-25 lbs. I've been eating very healthy foods when hungry in frequent small meals and somewhat to my surprise have only gained about 2 lbs at this point, but my doc says I am doing great and don't need to try to gain weight unless the baby's growth starts falling behind (right on track so far). I'm sure I will naturally start to gain more soon as the baby gets bigger.

- Jenna, 41, DH 38 TTC since September '06 with MFI. 3 failed unmedicated IUI's with DH sperm, 1 failed IUI with injects with DH sperm, IVF #1 BFN, FET BFP but M/c week 5, IVF#2 BFP m/c week 7, IUI with injects and donor sperm: probable chemical pg. 1 failed unmedicated DS/IUI. Started BCP's 7/30 for IVF #3, ER 9/10, ET 9/15, Beta 9/24 results 9/25. BFP, Twins. Lost 1st twin at 9-10 weeks, lost second twin at 16 weeks 12/17/08. Attempted IUI #4 converted to DS/DH IUI April 09 at my request, BFP and M/c. IVF #4 June 09 BFN. DS-IUI w/injects 7/6/09, BFN. Hysteroscopic myomectomy to remove fibroid 7/29/09.Unmedicated DS-IUI 9/09, BFN. DS-IUI with injects, 10/09, BFP and M/C. DH/DS-IUI with injects and HGH, 12/6. BFP! Betas: 12dpo 12/18 58, 14 dpo 12/20 157, 16dpo 12/22 379, 22 dpo 12/28 4,002

pregnancy
- Jenna
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-12-2010 - 9:54pm

I definitely wasn't trying to gain weight in the 1st trimester, and I was getting sick so much that I didn't until the last two weeks of it. By the start of the 2nd trimester I was up about 3-4 lbs, and at the time I read that was pretty much on target so I wasn't concerned.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-12-2010 - 10:42pm

In my 'What to Expect When You're Expecting Book', aside from offering recommended OVERALL weight gain in lbs for each type of body type, it doesn't give recommendations as to when weight should be gained throughout the pregnancy. It says that some women gain little weight or no weight in T1 due to extreme morning sickness. Other women gain very little weight in T3 because of decreased appetite as a result of being so uncomfortable, etc.. That leads me to believe that the majority of weight is gained in T2, but again, this is just my assumption based on what I read in my book. (I can't find my 'The Pregnancy Bible' which I LOVE! DH "cleaned" last weekend which means it very likely found its way to the trash without my knowing...).

Anyway, sorry I can't offer you any more info about it. I'm sure others will be able to offer you something just like the PP. FWIW, my recommended weight gain was 25 - 35 lbs; I'm sure that I'm already well over 50 or even 60 (don't want to know what my actual weight gain is -- it's too upsetting for me.....). I wish you well and I hope you get the info you're looking for. If you think of it, ask your doc this question at your next appointment. I'm curious to her what s/he says. Best wishes to you.

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-16-2010 - 4:37pm

Probably a good idea to ask your doc about it. Have you been eating a lot of salty foods/processed/restaurant lately? If you find yourself gaining weight very suddenly (2-4 lbs in a week) without explanation (eating moderately) you should let your doc know immediately as this can be a sign of preclampsia (it's fluid retention). What you are describing sounds a bit less than that, and is probably just a normal fluctuation (or maybe you've had some salty food), but I still think you doc would want to be informed. If they have one of those blood pressure machines at your local supermarket or drugstore you could always check your blood pressure before your appt.

Coincidentally I just read on Medhelp one doc saying weight gain (this is for people who need to gain 25-35 lbs) should usually be about 1/2 lb per week in the first 20 weeks and 1 lb a week in the last 20 weeks. But I've seen various guidelines written about this and every woman and pg is different.

If your blood pressure and tests are fine and it's just normal pg weight gain I would just watch the quality of the food you eat/drink and try not to stress over it beyond that...you'll gain what you gain. As your doc what he/she says, but what I've read and have been told in my prenatal classes says if you are gaining too much you should switch to lower fat proteins and higher fiber foods (nonfat instead of whole milk, boneless skinless chicken breast instead of chicken w/skin, etc, whole fruit instead of juice), avoid empty "junk" calories (cookies, soda, chips etc) and eat more whole foods (fruits, veggies, beans, brown rice) but NOT deprive yourself from food when hungry or try to "diet". I've also read that with higher quality foods more goes to nourish the baby and less to fat on you.

- Jenna, 41, DH 38 TTC since September '06 with MFI. 3 failed unmedicated IUI's with DH sperm, 1 failed IUI with injects with DH sperm, IVF #1 BFN, FET BFP but M/c week 5, IVF#2 BFP m/c week 7, IUI with injects and donor sperm: probable chemical pg. 1 failed unmedicated DS/IUI. Started BCP's 7/30 for IVF #3, ER 9/10, ET 9/15, Beta 9/24 results 9/25. BFP, Twins. Lost 1st twin at 9-10 weeks, lost second twin at 16 weeks 12/17/08. Attempted IUI #4 converted to DS/DH IUI April 09 at my request, BFP and M/c. IVF #4 June 09 BFN. DS-IUI w/injects 7/6/09, BFN. Hysteroscopic myomectomy to remove fibroid 7/29/09.Unmedicated DS-IUI 9/09, BFN. DS-IUI with injects, 10/09, BFP and M/C. DH/DS-IUI with injects and HGH, 12/6. BFP! Betas: 12dpo 12/18 58, 14 dpo 12/20 157, 16dpo 12/22 379, 22 dpo 12/28 4,002

pregnancy
- Jenna
iVillage Member
Tue, 03-16-2010 - 5:21pm

>> but what I've read and have been told in my prenatal classes says if you are gaining too much you should switch to lower fat proteins and higher fiber foods (nonfat instead of whole milk, boneless skinless chicken breast instead of chicken w/skin, etc, whole fruit instead of juice), avoid empty "junk" calories (cookies, soda, chips etc) and eat more whole foods (fruits, veggies, beans, brown rice)<<

I already only drink 1% milk, don't eat meat, and include plenty of fruit, veggies, and whole grains in my diet. I am definitely going to talk to my doctor. I have been eating more frequently without being as careful about amounts as I was before pregnancy, and I admit I have a cookie here or there, but it seems like I'd have to be completely pigging out for 10 days to gain that much. I think I look more like I'm 6+ months pregnant than 4 and 1/2. But, aside from an ongoing struggle with acid reflux (trying to make some dietary changes to address that too), I feel good. I'm hoping it was just a growth spurt and slows down a bit now. As far as my blood pressure goes, it has always tended to be on the low side and has stayed okay when I've had it checked during pregnancy, but I think I'll borrow my mother's blood pressure monitor just to see.

Thanks for the tips. Guess I just have to try to cut down overall (without actually "dieting") and get checked to make sure something more serious isn't going on.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-16-2010 - 6:26pm

Good luck and hope everything is good with you and the baby

I was looking myself to see if I was gaining enough weight (not quite according to this chart but my Doc thinks its OK) and found this cool chart that shows recommended minimum weight gain by week depending on your target

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:PSWyFJ8FJv0J:www.healthy-baby.org/pdf/WeightGainInstAndForm.pdf+minimum+weight+gain+pregnancy+obese&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEEShML72FwLeH7QyxXTf2gD-ouz_86co8cz_MZA0rc5CmOXNFENdzQxxOvNeTaQL7OroOakCClq7ipp5snCGgjfSzmKf7mYOFfaZaC5x5N6UtMOWrt4ff4YGNbacpIlRz4xL2KNBr&sig=AHIEtbSd7YEdw6qqeOa57bAZxWU97ved1A

pregnancy
- Jenna
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-17-2010 - 9:11pm
Just wanted to report that I weighed myself today and was DOWN almost a pound from last week, but still up 9 lbs overall. I haven't really been cutting down on my eating, and my belly's definitely popping now. So maybe I was retaining a bit that day, and the baby was going through a growth spurt. Anyway, I'm just glad I didn't see another 3 lb weight gain in such a short time or would have been truly alarmed.
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-18-2010 - 4:46pm

Similar to Jenna, I went thru years of infertility treatments as well as multiple losses and so I sort of "ate my weigh" (ha!) thru those years!

I only need to gain the recommended 10-15 lbs and with Mary Catherine gained nothing and with Benjamin gained about 5 lbs.

When I asked my OB about this she said it was totally fine. Baby is taking what it needs and unless you are not measuring correctly or u/s sonos show poor growth she thinks the "recommended weight gains" are a bit exaggerated.

She completed her residency in OB and was pregnant with her first born and delivered a healthy 8lb baby. She never gained a pound.

Now, a couple of weeks ago, I too got on the scale and was SHOCKED by how much I had gained...but I had a sneaky suspicion in was water retention. I had just come back to KC from STL and the 4 1/2 hour drive wreaked havoc on my feet and ankles. I looked like a stay-puff marshmallow!

My OB did comment (wouldn't you know I had a monthly OB appt. that Monday_ that my weight was up significantly, but guess what...about 3 days later...after constant urination and drinking water, I managed to lose all that weight gain and was back to where I originally started.

I think we have to trust our own bodies. Perhaps this little bugger is just gonna be bigger than average OR as Jenna suggested, you keep an eye out for pre-eclampsia.

What about gestational diabetes? I don't remember if this is your 1st pregnancy, but it is not uncommon to develop this complication due to age...it really doesn't have much to do with starting weight, although that can be a contributing factor. They typically due glucose testing at 28-weeks, but if you continue to gain you might need to do the 1-hour tolerance test sooner.

One thing with the gestational is that you really need to watch your carb intake...and I'm not talking cookies and pasta. No fruit juices at all and my fruit intake was limited to 2 servings a day and had to be eaten at breakfast or lunch. Bananas were a no no as well as 2 slices of bread on a sandwich etc. Had to find the sugar free/low car yogurt. Limited intake on milk, regardless of the fat due to lactose...natural sugar. So, you could still be getting a lot of sugar even though you eat healthy.

I've had gestational twice and both times it didn't rear its ugly head until about 28-weeks. They tested me early with Ben (since I had it with Mary) and I passed, but failed at 28-weeks. They tested me REALLY early with this pregnancy, 9 weeks, but I again passed with flying colors.

Keep us posted!

Val

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-18-2010 - 10:02pm

With everything looking so good with the baby, I sure hope I don't develop pre-eclampsia or GD. But I have to say I don't really understand how someone can have a baby and not gain any weight. I mean, it's not just the baby but all that fluid in there. But I guess we all carry slightly differently. So far, my blood pressure has remained normal and I think my blood sugar has too, although my cholesterol was checked in January and was up nearly 20 points from pre-pregnancy. I read that's a very common symptom during pregnancy, and that after the baby's born, it typically returns to where it was. Anyway, I had blood work done March 1st but it sounds like I probably should get checked again in a while. I feel fine, and the rest of my body (besides my belly) isn't really puffed up. Like I said, I was just happy not to see such a big jump and the scale actually go the other way this week.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-18-2010 - 11:00pm

I will tell you that after Mary's delivery, I actually left the hospital weighing LESS than my pre-pregnancy weight. So while I didn't "gain" any weight...I was maintaining my own body weight...and actually losing body fat...while fluids, placenta, baby weight made up the difference.

Mary was small...but she was also delivered at 38 1/2 weeks due to low amnio fluid level...but she wasn't preemie weight by any means...she was 6lbs 12 oz.

With Ben I gained a total of 5lbs and, again, left the hospital weighing less than what I started at. Ben on the other hand was a big baby...8lbs 7oz. I really struggled with the gestational diabetes at the end...my daytime glucose levels were great...I did really good with the diet and exercise, but my fasting glucose (first thing in the AM kept creeping up) and I had to take Glyburide at bedtime.

I think pregnancy affects everyone differently...for the first time in my life (and with both pregnancies since Mary) I am not constantly hungry or craving sugar/sweets. My OB said it had to do with hCG.

Sometimes, especially during 1st Trimester, I would wake up starving at night and my OB said that I just wasn't getting enough calories during the day. I was paranoid that a night time eating habit would develop, but by 2nd trimester I would usually sleep thru the night and not be hungry. The OB's office said, if you are waking due to hunger than you definitely need to eat.

I also used to work full-time outside of the home...teaching 3rd graders. I taught in a huge building (4 sections minimum for each grade) and it was a brand-new building the size of a junior high. I had to waddle everywhere, not to mention hustle at recess duty, and around the classroom to keep students on task. I rarely sat! So I think I burned a lot of calories that way.

I'm a little worried this time around...never been pregnant at 40! HA!

Pages