I hate hormones!

iVillage Member
I hate hormones!
Mon, 03-15-2010 - 10:32pm

A little something I posted on what I *think* will wind up being 'my' expecting club (but till I get a due date I don't know for sure!)... but I think you ladies may understand a bit more.

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-22-2010 - 10:34pm

Kristy,

You are not alone.

Carol, mom to 7

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-16-2010 - 9:39pm

When I went off three Category C meds I was taking, I left the door open to go back on if need to. I made it through the first trimester without them, the time of greatest concern in terms of potential effects on the fetus, and will continue to as long as I'm managing without them, but that's not written in stone. I still see my psych doctor to monitor the situation, and I know untreated depression can be more detrimental to a developing baby, both prenatally and postpartum, than the potential risks of taking Category C meds. I assume at some point I'll have to be on the meds again- I've had cyclical depression most of my life (probably a variant of bipolar disorder)- but I'm hoping that won't be until after the baby's born. Right now my highs aren't too high, my low's aren't too low, but I'm not completely numbed out either. Like I said, I wish I could bottle this feeling.

Anyway, hang in there but do what you need to do for yourself. While it may be possible for you to get through pregnancy without the Zoloft, if you start to crash just remember that trying to ride things out isn't always the best way to go, and talk to your doctor about it. Here's to hoping the hormones start to level out soon.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-16-2010 - 8:12pm

I've been on and off of Zoloft since a bad run of PPD with my daughter (who just turned 6yrs).

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-16-2010 - 7:19pm

Ahh, yes, those hormones. }:-| The really do a job on us, don't they. Hang in there, it doesn't last forever (even though sometimes it feels like forever....). Hugs to you.

Karen - I'm glad to hear you're doing so well after being off the meds for so long. That's awesome.

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-16-2010 - 12:23pm
Whereas many of the posters I've encountered on these boards seem to be otherwise sane women who are driven a bit batty during pregnancy, for me those pregnancy hormones seem to be having the opposite effect. I was on several different psych meds when I got pregnant and chose to try going off them indefinitely. I have to say, I've felt better emotionally than I have in ages, and that's in the face of many major obstacles that would normally have me freaking out. I wish I could bottle the calm I've settled into in case I need it later. I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop but it hasn't yet, though I know that could change, particularly postpartum. But it's funny how the hormones affect us differently at different stages.
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-16-2010 - 11:46am
Kristy,
I know exactly the feeling. I took my boys to the store last week because my 8 yo DS needed new sneakers. The boys are always cooperative / well behaved while shopping (being 8 & 12 I guess they should be). We were having trouble finding his size in stock & I realized my frustration was def more than it should have been. Then DS announces his "requirement" that the sneakers must be YELLOW! He's my flashy guy ;) Instead of my normal level-headed handling of something like that, I started bickering with him like I was also an 8yo right in front of the sales guy while both boys are looking at me like I'm a loon! I ended up being so mean and stormed out of the store with both of them. I scolded them in the car & they both looked like poor deer caught in headlights! I never lose it like that, but I was so convinced they were being soooo difficult. Those hormones can really mess with your head & moods! Only diff is my guys know about the pg. Poor things think they are in for another 7 mos of this!!! LOL. I did apologize to them later on and told them that "crazy mommy" is only temporary in the beginnng. I also ordered my little guy his yellow (yuk!) sneakers online - gotta wish for that to be the biggest issue I have to deal with! Hang in there!!!

~Kathy

Brett 8/4/97

Luke 8/7/01

Due with #3 10/26/10

pregnancy calendar

~Kathy

Brett 8/4/97