49 and Pregnant

iVillage Member
49 and Pregnant
Tue, 03-16-2010 - 4:54pm

Hi!

I am 49 and recently discovered, much to our surprise, that we're having another child. A little background....We have twin daughters that are 15 years old and a 4 year old son who was born when I was 45. You can see that we're not new to the adventures of high-risk pregnancies. My emotions are all over the place! I am nauseated all day which is really wearing on me! I definitely recognize that we are blessed...again. I have friends who wanted children, but could not get pregnant. I just had figured that the odds of getting pregnant at 49 were very, very slim. In fact, I wasn't even paying attention to things like first day of last period. I'm pretty sure that I had a period in January, but I can't remember when it started or stopped. I'm also even more aware of all the things that can go wrong. I tried to set up an appointment with my Ob-Gyn doctor right away, but they wouldn't see me until what we guessed to be 8 weeks which, at this point, is next week. I should have insisted upon an appointment even if it was too early to hear a heart beat, etc. I think that I would have felt better just being able to ask questions. I know that I should be more thankful and be really happy about this baby. I'm just not quite there yet.

Thanks for listening!

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-14-2012 - 12:53am
Baby dust to you NZ.Pam!
Community Leader
Mon, 03-05-2012 - 6:41pm
Hi mspanish, grats on your great news! This is an old post and most of those women aren't here anymore. They've had their lil ones years ago :) If you'd like to post up in the welcome section then I'm sure you'd find some more current posts and a ton of support and friendship

Wendy

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-05-2012 - 6:15pm

Take heart that I'm a 41 3/4 year old awaiting #3 up here in Alaska, quite frazzled myself at the prospect! When you add the nausea and flu like feeling to my overall since of bewilderment at "wow this is going to finish me off!" while I'm trying to take care of a 3 & 5 year old while I work on the computer from

Community Leader
Tue, 01-17-2012 - 9:02am

Hi Mz.Pam

This is an old posting that you responded to.

Wendy

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-17-2012 - 12:52am

i am 49 friday

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-15-2011 - 9:23pm

Congratulations!

I didn't go to the Dr until I thought I was about 9 wks - I was 11wks lol

So yep i did the denial thing also and my attitude this time is different - more calm I guess i would describe it as - it's still somewhat surreal to me at 18wks! Seeing the first ultrasound pciture helped - I think the anatomy scan at 20wks will def help...but I do know for certain that when I have him in my arms, I will be totally in love and feel incredibly blessed!

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-09-2011 - 4:11am
Good luck to you. Trust on your instincts. Your body will tell you wether the child is "ok".... I am 49 as well, would love to have another child. My daughter is 8 years old. But now it seems so much harder than at 39 (pregnant at 2nd cycle) cause I have unprotected sex for 14 months now and no result... Maybe even approaching menopauze, cause I had an implantation like bleeding. Who knows maybe my last period ever or pregnant???
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-25-2010 - 1:40pm
RACHELLE!!!!! OMG, How are you? I think of you often as I miss your wit, intelligence, and uplifting spirit. How have you been? How's your little man Esai? I'd love to see a recent photo of him if you have any. Please update us and let us know what's new, etc.. I hope you're well.

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-25-2010 - 1:34pm

Hi Nereida ! I was on this board 18 mos. ago. I had an unplanned baby boy at 45, shy 2 mos. of 46 after having only one other child, a 21 year old daughter. It has worked out fine. Don't worry about what other people think. It's what you think that is important. I am now trying to have another. I was unsure as to what to expect, even after he was born. But, this little boy has brought us so much joy - more than we could have ever imagined.

Good luck and don't feel bad if you are not enthused. My husband was not enthralled when we found out I was pregnant and had even talked about termination. My husband could not even live without my son now !! HE tells me weekly that he LOVES coming home from work to his family, instead of an empty house like he used to when single. He can't wait to play with our son and have dinner at the table. The grown daughter is gone doing her own thing, now.

Best Wishes,

Rachelle

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-22-2010 - 9:58pm

Hi Nereida,

I'm Carol and I am 46.

Carol, mom to 7

Pages