Pregnancy workouts?

iVillage Member
Pregnancy workouts?
Wed, 03-24-2010 - 5:08pm

Anyone have any good preggo workouts to suggest? So far I've checked out:

Buff Moms-to-Be/Full body fitness and toning - this one kicked my butt nicely and I'll keep doing it unless I find something better...

and

PreNatal Yoga with Shiva Rea - which I found too boring to do more than once....

I'm not overweight, but I usually don't work out and I'm a wuss so I can't do anything super strenuous.

I was amazed at how sore my muscles were after doing the relatively benign "Buff Moms"? Does pregnancy kill your muscle strength or am I really that out of shape (I'll bet it's the latter.)?

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-25-2010 - 8:44am

I don't know of specific workouts- I generally go to the gym and use the equipment there (the elliptical trainer and weight machines), and I'm told most of the exercises I did pre-pregnancy are fine to continue, with a few exceptions. I don't use one machine that involves lying on your belly, and after I did a couple sets of crunches/ab work a couple weeks ago I felt some strain and decided I better look that one up. Everything I read said no crunches after the first trimester-- glad I looked it up!!! There are other ab exercises you can do to help keep your abdominals in some sort of shape without any potential risk to the pregnancy. I've also added more walking to my routine now- it's less strenuous but still good exercise.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-25-2010 - 4:23pm

Thanks Karen.

I don't belong to a gym and I need a dvd to work out with at home. I don't have the drive to move through an entire workout on my own without guidance and the structure of a dvd workout really helps me.

But judging by the lack of response I'm guessing there aren't too many pregnant mamas out there who are using workout dvds. I just know that if I don't stay active during my pregnancy my 47 year old bones are gonna have a hard time carrying a baby or chasing a little one around.

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-25-2010 - 7:43pm

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful about the workout DVDs. I think I have a Tai-Bo DVD sitting around the house, but not sure about using that one during pregnancy-- may be a bit more jumping and kicking than I care to do right now. I've thought about signing up for a pregnancy yoga class to try to maintain some muscle tone through this. But I still say one of the easiest, cheapest (and safest during pregnancy) ways to stay fit is by taking brisk walks. We'll see if I'm still saying that when I'm waddling along in a few more months!

Make a pregnancy ticker

Edited 3/25/2010 7:52 pm ET by karen2010
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-25-2010 - 8:26pm

I'm sorry I didn't respond to your post but to be honest with you, the fact that I haven't worked out at all during this pregnancy just plain old depresses me. I had every hope of staying thin this time around (am size 4 when not pregnant, am in size L clothes right now and they're getting tight!!!), but the reality is the first trimester I spent gorging myself on carbs to keep the MS at bay and consequently started gaining weight quickly and much sooner than I should have; the second trimester cravings were in full force, and of course not for healthy stuff - this time around I craved salty, fatty stuff like chips, sausage, etc., etc.; and by the time I hit T3, every single muscle, bone, and joint in my body is achy due to the excess relaxin flowing around in me (this happened with both my girls, too). Ugh, those darn hormones.

I can't offer any real qualified advice other than to say doing something, even if light, is better than doing nothing. In my pregnancy book, it says the same thing Karen mentioned - crunches definitely aren't recommended and it also suggest that exercising 4 - 5 times a week is not only good for you, but good for baby, too. You could probably pick up any pregnancy book and it will give you some exercises to do. I have 'What to Expect When You're Expecting' and it includes descriptions as well as photos of exercises recommended for pregnant women.

I commend you on your will to stay active during pregnancy. I wish you the best with it. As for me, well, I'm probably looking at a year to get back into shape again..... Ugh.

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-26-2010 - 10:38am

Hi, there-

You might get a good response if you ask this question over on the Get Fit Moms board. They have a pretty active group over there- some pregnant women who are trying to stay fit, and some moms who are working on getting back in shape.

reena050809.jpg 0809 picture by reena102

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-26-2010 - 12:10pm
Thanks for the tip Reena, I just posted a request over there.
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-26-2010 - 12:12pm
Thanks anyway, and don't you sweat the weight. With three little ones to chase around, I bet you'll be back in those size four jeans in no time!
iVillage Member
Sat, 03-27-2010 - 5:50pm

I'm a big fan of yoga, pregnant or not.