I need a Pregnancy Pick-Me-Up!!

iVillage Member
I need a Pregnancy Pick-Me-Up!!
Fri, 03-26-2010 - 6:22pm

Wow, it MUST be the getting older part, because I dont think I've ever been this tired during the first few weeks of pregnancy before! I sometimes wonder if it's all in my head because literally the day after I found out I was pregnant it's like a Mack Truck hit me! I can barely keep my eyes open most days. We are not telling anyone until mid-June so I could really use some sort of energy-booster between now and then, otherwise people will start to wonder.

Obviously Monster or Red Bull is out of the question, anyone have any suggestions for some natural alternatives? I would give anything for a nap, but with 6 other kids there's always a football game, volleyball game, or a band concert to attend. No time for naps for me!

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-01-2010 - 1:59pm

Morning KimmySue,

I've only had my one cup of black tea,(at 7am) while our youngsters were getting ready for school.

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-01-2010 - 8:03am

Thank you SO much for the info! That is exactly the type of thing I was hoping for! I will definitely check out the website or see if I can find this product locally!! BTW, still up at 2:00 a.m.?? Sounds like you had too much tea yesterday! ;-)

Kim

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-01-2010 - 2:17am

Hello KimmySue,

I am 42 yo and 31 weeks

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-30-2010 - 8:03am
Thanks for your reply, Karen. I've been trying to continue going to yoga whether I'm tired or not and that definitely seems to be helping as well. :-)

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-29-2010 - 10:18pm

I highly endorse this approach. I felt exhausted during much of the first trimester (and I'm not sure it's entirely tied to age-- have heard of much younger women suffering these symptoms). Even though the extreme fatigue has abated in the second trimester, I'm still a big believer in naps (though I know it can be hard to fit them in, particularly if you're working/have other kids during pregnancy), that they're worth making time for and can be as beneficial as staying active. And a brisk walk is almost always a great, quick pick-me-up.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-29-2010 - 7:18pm

Wish I'd had a magic elixier for the fatigue that lasted well into the 2nd trimester for me - I'd gladly pass it along. The two things I did most were keep up my (scaled back) exercise routine and shape-shift into a couch for long periods of time. The two things seem to contradict one another, but that's how I survived as a full-time working, single mom of an active six year-old.

Best of luck. You'll be feeling better soon!

Melinda

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-27-2010 - 10:15am

Hi Carol,

Glad to know I'm not the only 40+ mom with a 7th baby on the way! However you and I are in completely different categories...you are one of those organized, home-school wonder-moms and I, am most certainly not! lol People ask me all the time, "Wow! You have 6 kids??? How do you do it?" and I always reply, "What makes you think I do it? I DON'T do it!" lol Oh, we manage just fine, and we love every minute we have with all our kids, don't get me wrong. But we struggle a lot juggling schedules and losing patience in all the chaos. DH and I were really looking forward to our youngest two (ages 4.5 and almost 3) getting older and not quite so needy. Our two oldest will be off to college this summer...life seemed like it was finally starting to calm down...then a BFP!

This must be God's plan, though, so who are we to question it? It's only been a few days since my BFP and it will take a bit longer for it to fully sink in. The excitement and happiness that most others on this board feel WILL come for us...right now we just need to claw our way out of the shock, dispair, and complete exhaustion. Glad to have you here as a mentor! Maybe over the next few months you can show me how you "do it!" with your 6+ family! ;-)

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-27-2010 - 10:01am

Hi Joan,

Thanks for the welcome and congratulations on your little boy! I was a SAHM for years, but since we absolutely were NOT having anymore children I went back to work part-time, then very recently accepted a full-time position. My job is currently sitting in our HR department waiting to be re-evaluated and if approved, I will be the new Technology

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-27-2010 - 12:26am

I know just how you feel!

Carol, mom to 7

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-26-2010 - 10:18pm
Hello, Kimmysue and welcome. Congrats on baby #7!~ I wish I knew of some natural pick-me-ups, but unfortunately, I don't. I was exhausted during the early weeks of pregnancy with just two young children -- I couldn't imagine having 6 children to chase around and take care of. You must be absolutely zombie-like! I'm sure you'll get some ideas from the ladies here -- they're very resourceful and full of information and suggestions. I'm now in my 3rd trimester so although I'm well passed the first trimester exhaustion, I must admit, most days I have little energy and absolutely no ambition to do much of anything. I'm Joan, BTW, and am pregnant with #3 who's a boy, is still nameless, and is due mid-May. We have two girls, a five year old and a two year old. Since I'm a SAHM and our five year old just started Senior Kindergarten this year, (I'm in Canada where they have Junior Kindergarten, a half-day program for 4 - 5 years olds, then SK, a full-day program for 5 - 6 year olds) I was able to catch a few Z's while our two year old napped each day but with 6 children, and not knowing whether you work, etc., not sure if that works for you... I look forward to following you on your journey as well as hearing what ideas the ladies here have for you. Welcome aboard and best wishes to you. I hope to see you posting around more.

Photobucket

Photobucket