I think it may be over for me...

iVillage Member
I think it may be over for me...
Wed, 03-31-2010 - 2:05pm

I went in for my ultrasound yesterday and they estimated me to be 6 weeks two days pregnant. My last period started Jan 26, so I should be nine weeks.

I took a home pregnancy test that was positive on March 1, so going by the ultrasound dates, I conceived the day before I took the test! Something's definitely not adding up.

So they're sending me for blood tests to measure my HCG levels, one test yesterday and another one tomorrow. If the levels double in that time then the baby's okay, but I've got a bad feeling about this.

I guess it was a too good to be true.

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-31-2010 - 3:32pm

Have you talked to your doctor about this discrepancy? This news would be highly troubling to anyone, but it ain't over till it's over. Will be thinking of you and wishing for the best. Let us know any updates if you're so inclined.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-31-2010 - 5:09pm

Thanks Karen.

Yes, I spoke to my doctor, and that's why he ordered the blood tests.

If I hadn't pointed out to him that I'd taken the pregnancy test on March 1st, I don't know if he'd have realized anything was out of the ordinary. This was my first appointment and he'd have just thought I'd conceived later than originally estimated.

The awful part is that he won't get the results of the tests until next Tuesday due to the holiday weekend. So I won't know what's going on for almost a week.

My Easter weekend is gonna be fun fun fun!

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-31-2010 - 5:51pm

Oh, I sure am hoping not!

You didn't mention...did they see a heartbeat yesterday? That's not a given at 6w 2d, but I understand the reality of the situation.

There's something disconcerting about being so off on the dates...a woman just knows when the dates are off.

As Karen mentioned, if you feel so inclined, please share with us your follow-up results.

I went through a similar situation (datae-wise) a year ago, so I understand your fears and anxieties.

You'll be in my thoughts and prayers this Easter weekend,

Val

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-31-2010 - 7:47pm

No, Val, no heartbeat. They said it was too small to see anything.

Thank you for including me in your prayers.

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-31-2010 - 9:02pm
I'm so sorry to hear there's such a discrepancy but I'll keep thinking positively for you. I hope you'll update us when you learn anything new. I'll keep you in my thoughts as I know all too well how hard it is to sit and wait for news like this. Hang in there.

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-01-2010 - 10:40pm
I can imagine it will be so hard for you to spend the Easter weekend with all that preoccupation & worry. Let me add my thoughts of hope and good luck to you. Please let us know how it goes. Hugs...........
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-02-2010 - 4:40pm

Thanks everyone for your support.

I'm trying to keep a positive outlook, without getting my hopes too high.

I've read that first trimester ultrasounds can be off by as much as six days late or early, and my pregnancy test was supposed to have been sensitive enough that it could have been positive as few as 8 day after conception.

So if I calculate in all that, it's possible that everything's fine, it's just that I'm not as far along as I thought I was. But I guess I'll know more on Tuesday. I'll let you know what the test results are when I find out. My partner says I worry too much, but usually I don't worry at all, it's just that the ultrasound results really threw me for a loop.

Have a wonderful Easter.

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-02-2010 - 7:19pm

Just thinking of you this weekend.

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-06-2010 - 3:20pm

Hello ladies,

Well I got the news back from my doctor and I'm afraid it is not good. Rather than doubling over two days, my hormone levels declined, indicating that this pregnancy is no longer viable. Tomorrow morning I will go into his office and he will give me medication to "help the process along".

I am trying to be very stoic about this as I am the type of person who tends to slide deep into despair, and I can't afford to let grief paralyze me at this time. There are too many other challenges I must face in my life currently.

I thank you for all your advice and kind wishes during my time here, and I wish you all health and happiness as you continue your journeys.

Sincerely,

Christina

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-06-2010 - 8:02pm
Christina, I'm so sorry you received such sad news. It's amazing what pregnancy does to us -- even when it's a surprise. I hope you heal as quickly and as easily as possible, both emotionally and physically. If you feel up to it, please stick around and feel free to share your experiences and stories. We welcome input and ideas from all. If you choose not to, I completely understand. Best wishes to you always.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Pages