Wow-still gaining quickly

iVillage Member
Wow-still gaining quickly
Mon, 04-05-2010 - 5:45pm

Got weighed today and was up 17 pounds since early pregnancy. My doctor wasn't alarmed, but said maybe I can start to taper off for a while now-- as if I was trying to gain that much this quickly!
Seems I'm likely to exceed my maximum suggested weight gain of 25 lbs by the end. Guess I can try to cut down the eating a bit, but I'm hungry all the time now. If my doctor's okay with it, guess I should be too, but this definitely needs to slow down.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-05-2010 - 9:29pm
Hi Karen. Sorry you're so bummed about your doc's comments. I think some docs are more concerned about weight gain than others are. I'm freakin' huge right now (just as I was with each of my girls) and my doc hasn't said one word to me. In fact, I asked his several appointments ago why he never gave me crap about getting fat with either of my girls and he said "Well why did you gain so much weight?". I responded "Because I was always hungry and ate whatever I wanted to eat.". He laughed and said, "Well, there you go. It's your own fault. But you always lose it afterwards so I'm not too worried about it. Just make sure you keep your sugars in control; that's the most important thing.". I'm sure I mentioned this before but I gained 60 lbs with our first daughter, 70 with our second, and I'm well on track to gain AT LEAST 70 with this one (not that I know how much I've gained since I refuse to look at a scale, I'm just judging by how my "fat, maternity" clothes fit me). I'm not condoning gaining "a lot" of or "too much" weight (like I already have), I'm just suggesting that if you're eating healthy and are staying active, I don't think there's a whole heck of a lot more you can do other than what you already suggested -- to eat less. But personally, if you're hungry, I think you should eat. Just my very humble opinion. I realize the benefits to not gaining too much weight while pregnant, but I think there's a balance that needs to be struck. For me, I eat lots of healthy foods, it's just that I eat a lot of them in addition to indulging my cravings for some not-so-healthy things. If I were less miserable, I think I'd be more willing and able to stave off those darn cravings. But for the next few weeks, I think I'll allow myself to indulge my cravings and just hunker down by eating healthy and working out vigorously 4 -5 times/week at the gym once my doc gives me the green light to resume physical activity (which I fully expect to be at my 6 week postpartum check up. Wow, this turned into a mini novel.......sorry about that. I had a caffeinated beverage earlier this evening, I guess my verbose responses this evening are a side effect of said beverage. : ) Best wishes to you.

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-09-2010 - 7:47pm

Karen,

You are so funny! Remember what a blessing this is to be pregnant and try not to worry too much about the weight gain. You know you'll lose it afterwards...just enjoy this time!

I've gained too with this pregnancy...only 10 lbs, but remember, I'm the gal that never gains a pound and actually goes home slimmer after delivery. I've really just tried to put it out of my mind and enjoy myself...maybe a bit too much...I just know that gestational is gonna kick in and then I really will be on a DIET! This is our last baby and I'm enjoying eating for all it's worth. I too have been really hungry this 2nd trimester! Maybe it's a boy thing with me! LOL

Take care,
Val

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-10-2010 - 10:36am

Val,

You're right, and I'm not really overly stressed about it, since my doctor wasn't. Maybe if I cut out those deserts I've been ordering lately when I go out to eat, I might not be up by this much, but I've been taking the eating for two thing and running with it! (I do eat very healthy meals too.) I'm still hungry very often-- and I'm never sure whether it's me who wants it or the baby who needs it, so I suppose I've been erring on the side of over-eating. And maybe it is a boy thing.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-11-2010 - 9:14pm
I wouldn't stress yourself out or beat yourself up over it. Lots of women exceed their weight target and while it isn't ideal as long as your baby is healthy and you don't get GD it shouldn't be a huge issue (no pun intended). You won't meet your goal of 25, but you'll probably keep it around 35 at this rate, which is not so bad. Cut out the desserts, and make sure what you do eat has excellent nutritional value, but besides that...well you should eat when you are hungry. Just focus on what you are eating- lean protein, veggies, fruit, whole grains- these foods can fill you up more for less calories, and deliver more nutrients to your baby than things like desserts. I think I read somewhere that brown rice was 600% more filling than white rice for the same calories. Whole grains and fruits and veggies with fiber help fill you up and are so good for the baby. But I don't think it is a good idea to go hungry or intentionally restrict calories below your daily requirements during pg.
- Jenna, 41, DH 38 TTC since September '06 with MFI. 3 failed unmedicated IUI's with DH sperm, 1 failed IUI with injects with DH sperm, IVF #1 BFN, FET BFP but M/c week 5, IVF#2 BFP m/c week 7, IUI with injects and donor sperm: probable chemical pg. 1 failed unmedicated DS/IUI. Started BCP's 7/30 for IVF #3, ER 9/10, ET 9/15, Beta 9/24 results 9/25. BFP, Twins. Lost 1st twin at 9-10 weeks, lost second twin at 16 weeks 12/17/08. Attempted IUI #4 converted to DS/DH IUI April 09 at my request, BFP and M/c. IVF #4 June 09 BFN. DS-IUI w/injects 7/6/09, BFN. Hysteroscopic myomectomy to remove fibroid 7/29/09.Unmedicated DS-IUI 9/09, BFN. DS-IUI with injects, 10/09, BFP and M/C. DH/DS-IUI with injects and HGH, 12/6. BFP! Betas: 12dpo 12/18 58, 14 dpo 12/20 157, 16dpo 12/22 379, 22 dpo 12/28 4,002

pregnancy
- Jenna
iVillage Member
Sun, 04-11-2010 - 11:36pm

>>lean protein, veggies, fruit, whole grains<<

Like you said, skipping the rich desserts I've allowed myself to indulge in more than usual would probably help. And as long as I don't exceed 35 lbs altogether, I'll be satisfied. But I normally include a good amount of these healthy foods in my diet anyway and have definitely been careful to make sure they're a big part of my diet now. Still, every time I eat now, no matter what it is, my belly gets so bloated after. It's hard, not really flabby-- I feel like maybe I have too much fluid in there. But again, my doctor saw me a week ago and wasn't alarmed, so I guess I shouldn't be. It's just all new to me.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-12-2010 - 10:41am

I had to laugh re-reading my last post. It may sound like I'm very worried about temporarily being more overweight than I'm comfortable with-- but it's not so much that as my fears about any potential complications with the baby. It seems like things have gone too smoothly, and I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop, so maybe I'm kind of creating things to worry about. The rash I had a few weeks ago so far turned out to be nothing major and has now gone away. I'll just do the best I can to eat the right foods, cut out some of the extra desserts, and try to trust that things are working out as they're meant to. Until a doctor tells me it's a problem, though, I suppose I shouldn't turn it into one.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-12-2010 - 1:51pm
I know what you mean about bloating! Even though I haven't gained that much weight (it's definitely picking up now in the 2T though, I'm up about 7lbs now), my stomach looks HUGE to me, though others have said I'm not showing that much, I think that's just when I'm wearing clothes that camouflage it. Especially after I eat. Like you, my stomach is hard when I stand up. I think part of the issue is that the uterus is pushing all my intestines up to the top of my tummy, so between that and my stomach, if there's anything in there, my belly looks so much bigger- visibly so after a bigger meal. Personally I find that the high fiber foods/fruits/veggies keep things moving through more quickly, which keeps me more comfortable. And frequent smaller meals. Feeling constipated or a big meal makes it so much worse. This is new to me too, but my doc says I'm doing good so I'm going with that! I think all this is just normal pg stuff, and of course it's a little different for everyone.
- Jenna, 41, DH 38 TTC since September '06 with MFI. 3 failed unmedicated IUI's with DH sperm, 1 failed IUI with injects with DH sperm, IVF #1 BFN, FET BFP but M/c week 5, IVF#2 BFP m/c week 7, IUI with injects and donor sperm: probable chemical pg. 1 failed unmedicated DS/IUI. Started BCP's 7/30 for IVF #3, ER 9/10, ET 9/15, Beta 9/24 results 9/25. BFP, Twins. Lost 1st twin at 9-10 weeks, lost second twin at 16 weeks 12/17/08. Attempted IUI #4 converted to DS/DH IUI April 09 at my request, BFP and M/c. IVF #4 June 09 BFN. DS-IUI w/injects 7/6/09, BFN. Hysteroscopic myomectomy to remove fibroid 7/29/09.Unmedicated DS-IUI 9/09, BFN. DS-IUI with injects, 10/09, BFP and M/C. DH/DS-IUI with injects and HGH, 12/6. BFP! Betas: 12dpo 12/18 58, 14 dpo 12/20 157, 16dpo 12/22 379, 22 dpo 12/28 4,002

pregnancy
- Jenna
iVillage Member
Mon, 04-12-2010 - 1:53pm
Good for you for trying to relax a little. It's hard to do, especially with your first pregnancy. I remember being pregnant with Lilah thinking every little ache, pain, bump, etc., was something to worry about. With Eva, I worried much less; with this one, even less. Best wishes to you -- I hope you continue to have a happy, relatively easy pregnancy.
Photobucket

Photobucket