Could It Be Time???

iVillage Member
Could It Be Time???
Sun, 04-11-2010 - 10:10pm
I'll be 34 weeks tomorrow (that's about 2 hours away but who's counting?). Most of you know how miserable I've felt this entire pregnancy. This afternoon, right around dinner time, I started feeling just plain crappy. I've been experiencing mild nausea for about a week now. This afternoon, I started to feel, I don't know, just not right. Kind of like I was starting to develop the flu or something. I laid down after dinner and drifted in and out of sleep for a few minutes each time (in between tossing and turning, trying to find a position that was remotely comfortable). Recently, when I rest for even 20 minutes, I feel refreshed enough to carry out whatever task(s) need to be done before the night's end. But tonight, nothing seems to help. For the past several hours, I've been experiencing lower back pain which started out feeling like mild menstrual cramps but has since developed into full-blown lower back cramping. I still feel out of sorts (again, kind of like I'm getting sick) but have no fever. Although I have two children, both were born via scheduled inductions so I never experienced the onset of labor naturally. Could what/how I'm feeling be signs that labor is imminent? I should probably mention that I've had no bloody show and the only Braxton Hicks I have felt at all so far is when I finish walking, lifting something, or climbing stairs, etc.. So what could this be? Just another way this pregnancy is being cruel to me or something more than that???
Photobucket

Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-11-2010 - 11:13pm

Joan,

Wow. I wish I was qualified to speak on this subject, but being a first-timer, I haven't a clue about signs of imminent labor. If you continue not feeling right, maybe give your doc a call tomorrow. Good luck and let us know if this was just a false alarm. I hope for your sake these symptoms pass quickly-- I know you've had a rough time of it.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-12-2010 - 11:08am

It could very well be "time." The cramps plus your instinctive feeling that something is not quite right or usual are both indicative that something is up. Even if it isn't time, I definitely think you should find

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-12-2010 - 12:27pm

Thanks for the response, Karen and Molly. Last night was a bad night. I was up (awake) until 5:00 a.m. when DH's alarm went off at which time I climbed into bed hoping to get comfortable enough to catch a few ZZZ's before the girls and I had to wake up at 7:00. I think I was just so overly exhausted that I somehow fell asleep for about 45 mins after being woken by Lilah. Ugh. I surprisingly feel fine this morning. I have no idea why. Last night, actually up until I fell asleep early this morning, I continued to have fairly strong back cramps (like menstrual cramps) and still felt crappy (the only word I can think of to best describe my general, overall feeling). This morning, no back cramps, no "crappy" feeling, just my usual discomfort due to my being fat and having a big belly to lug around, LOL. So, as of right now, lasagne is made and cooling in the pan to be frozen, 5 lbs of mozzarella is shredded and put into individual bags of 1, 2, and 2 1/2 C servings ready to be frozen, ground turkey seasoned with chili powder, onion, garlic, cumin, ground coriander, salt, pepper, etc., is cooked, drained, and waiting to be cooled to put into two bags to freeze for tacos while I'm in the hospital and/or my Mom's here. I have a feeling I'll pay for doing all this stuff later today when my feet, back, and pelvic ligaments start to hurt. But for now, I'm happy to have accomplished what I did. Now it's off to clean the mess in the kitchen...

I'll keep you posted if anything changes. Thanks again for your responses. I feel kind of silly -- like I over reacted or something, but not having gone through naturally occurring labor before, I just wasn't (and still am not) sure what to think.

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-12-2010 - 3:02pm

Wow, you've accomplished a lot! Is that nesting?

I have no experience with labor to pass on to you, but good luck with whatever is happening/happened. I hope you get some comfort and rest very soon.

Leah
iVillage Member
Mon, 04-12-2010 - 5:48pm

Good for you for staying busy, but also try to get some rest tonight after the night you had last night. And try not to feel "silly" for "over-reacting." I've felt that way myself, but this is a fairly intense thing we're doing here and I think being on guard for potential problems kind of goes w the territory.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-12-2010 - 7:14pm
Sounds like nesting to me too. Make sure you are drinking a lot of water. I know it is the last thing you feel like doing since baby love playing kick ball with mommies bladder, but if you get dehydrated you will feel really miserable. I'm glad your feeling better. Don't worry you will have a baby in your arms instead squished against your spine before you know it.
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-13-2010 - 8:33am

Thanks, Leah. Again today I feel pretty well. I was wondering the same thing you were wondering -- was that nesting that made me so darn ambitious yesterday? I dunno but if so, I LIKE IT! On any other normal day I would never have gotten so much done before noon, LOL.

Thanks again for your words and the response.

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-13-2010 - 8:37am
Thanks for trying to make me feel better about over reacting. It's funny, I had a fear the whole time I was crying and complaining to my husband two nights ago (when I felt really horrible) that nothing was happening despite how "sure" I was something was going on. I even packed my hospital bag, LOL. I guess it was just one of those pregnancy things. Or maybe it was my body STARTING to prepare to have this little guy. From what I've read and heard, this initial preparation stage can last for weeks. Great. Just what I want. I got more rest last night than I usually do so I'm hopeful today will be another good day. Hope you're feeling well.
Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-13-2010 - 8:42am
Thanks so much for the reminder to keep drinking! This is something I generally don't ever worry about; I drink when I'm thirsty and that's about it. In fact, I try to cut off all fluids by about 9 or 10 p.m. because I'm fearful that I'll have to pee every 10 mins if I don't. Ironically, last night, I drank lots more than I usually do and I felt pretty good AND peed less than I do on nights when I drink significantly less. This pregnancy thing is just crazy! : ) I hope you're feeling well and progressing along nicely. Keep us posted. Thanks again.
Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-13-2010 - 12:46pm

Hi Joan!

Sounds like you've got the food preparation under control...what about the rest of it? LOL

I actually got the bassinet brought up from the basement...washed all the coverings, wiped down all the plastic parts (it's been loaned to more than one sister so it was in need of an overhaul!); and washed all the bassinet sheets/change pads/etc. It's the only thing I have done, but if baby were to come early for any reason at least the bassinet is ready to go. My husband thinks I'm nuts!

Like you, I've only had scheduled c-sections/induction so I couldn't give any advice on imminent labor, but I think it sounds like your body is beginning to gear up for the big event. Who knows...at our age, and with 2 babies under our belts, maybe labor will be spontaneous.

While I still have a ways to go, something in me is just telling me to be prepared EARLY. I mean, I don't want a premie or anything, but at only a month out, I'd say anything is possible!

Keep us posted; glad to hear that you felt surprising refreshed considering the lack of sleep. Hopefully, you won't pay too much for standing on those feet all morning.

Take care,
Val

Pages