Tests

iVillage Member
Tests
Mon, 04-12-2010 - 3:37pm

I was wondering what the timelines have been for everyone's genetic testing etc?

By that I mean how many weeks were you given various tests? I had the triple screen with my last child (at 35) at around 15 weeks, but this time (I am 40) I'll be asking about other tests. Can someone fill me in on what to expect?

thanks!

iVillage Member
In reply to: momtoflowers
Mon, 04-12-2010 - 9:27pm

Congratulations!

I had the first trimester triple screen (nuchal translucency scan) done during week 12 (can be done between 11 and 13 weeks, 6 days). The second trimester screen is done around 18 weeks (or some just have a detailed ultrasound).

CVS and amnio can take place in those timeframes as well but I have opted out of those with both my pregnancies so others can probably tell you better.

Some time around 24 weeks you may also have a gestational diabetes test done. You drink a sugary substances, sit around for awhile and then they draw some blood. There is also miscellaneous blood work through the entire pregnancy (blood count, blood type, STDs, etc.).

There are probably more out there but those are all I can think of. Remember to ask questions about any tests that your doctor offers so that you can make an informed decision if you want to have it done.

Good luck and a healthy and happy pregnancy.

Lisa

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-13-2010 - 2:35am
I did the nuchal screen and blood test, etc., with our first daughter but that was 6+ years ago so I really don't recall at what point in pregnancy it may be done -- although I think it's done before either of the two tests (CVS or amnio). I never had a CVS done so I can't really talk to that test. I had the amnio done with our second daughter and with this baby, too. It's done between 16 - 18 weeks. Sorry I couldn't offer you more info. If you don't get the info you're looking for from our board, try googling each of the screening and the two tests (CVS and amniocentesis); you'll most likely find the answers you're looking for there. Good luck to you.
Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-13-2010 - 1:39pm

Hi there.

I had the NT screen done during first trimester at 12w3d. Nuchal fold measurement can back fine (1.88mm), but blood work came back showing elevated risk for Down Syndrome (1:17). Eeeek!

Follow-up appt. with a perinatologist and an u/s to look at soft-tissue markers was performed at 14w6d. Nuchal fold was still normal and fetal development was on track and appeared normal (it was really just too early to tell on most of the DS markers that they were looking for).

2nd Trimester screen (triple screen)was peformed for the purpose of repeat scan and to check for spina bifida. All was good and odds came back better 1:173.

Follow-up visit with perinatologist at 21w3d went great. No soft-tissue markers were seen for DS.

Since we opted not to do amnio and CVS, I can't really speak to when those tests are completed.

Good luck with your pregnancy and those upcoming tests,

Valerie

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-13-2010 - 4:19pm

I had the Ultracreen (NT scan and blood test) done at 13 wks 4 days and my numbers came back (took a month for them to tell me the results!) 1:447 for DS and 1:1700 for one of the other trisomies. Even though that's not a diagnosis, I'm good with those odds plus have another health issue that could make invasive testing a greater risk to the baby, so I opted not to do either CVS or amnio. No signs of DS or other birth defects were seen during my 18+ wk US, and I'm comfortable with my decision so I can't comment on any further testing. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Photobucket