Cracked rib - ouch!

iVillage Member
Cracked rib - ouch!
Sat, 04-17-2010 - 10:02pm

So, I have cracked a rib - high on the right side. It's not affecting the baby at all but man does it hurt. No deep breaths, no sudden moves and it hurts like crazy if I change position in bed or a chair or when I pick up DD.

Also, I have a cold. Coughing and especially sneezing really hurt!

Nothing to be done about. I am just feeling sorry for myself and wanted to rant a little. Thanks for listening.

Lisa

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-17-2010 - 10:16pm
Hi Lisa. I'm sorry you're in so much pain. How did you crack your rib? I was 90% positive I broke a rib (although had no idea how it could've happened) a few weeks ago. It turns out, it was just muscular pain resulting from extreme, frequent coughing from pneumonia (well, that combined with my trying to help my five year old learn how to ride her two-wheeler sans training wheels, LOL). I actually went to the ER in full blown tears because of it. They did an ultrasound (to check my kidneys, etc.), blood work, urinalysis, constant BP and cardiac monitoring, etc. Everything came back normal so they discharged me and told me to take aspirin. When I say I was in full blown tears, I'm not exaggerating. The pain was comparable to labor pains. Even now, a month after my pneumonia and coughing being absent, my whole right rib cage starts hurting me every night around or shortly after dinner. And you'd think that lying down would help it, but in fact, it feels best when I sit up straight. I tell you all this so you know I can relate to what you're going through. And you're right, coughing, sneezing, blowing your nose, trying to sit up from a lying down position, bending your torso towards the right -- they all hurt. A lot. You have my sympathy. I hope you feel better soon. I tried Tylenol but it didn't do anything for me -- maybe you'll have better luck with it... Hugs to you. Take care.
Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-18-2010 - 10:12am
Oh no! I can't imagine how painful that must be! I hope you heal quickly!!

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-18-2010 - 11:24am

Lisa,

Yikes, not fun, especially during pregnancy, I imagine. How far along are you again? Also wondering, how'd you do it? Wishing you quick healing as well.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-18-2010 - 3:56pm

Thanks for your thoughts. We're not exactly sure how I did it. Funny thing is, I cracked ribs when I was pregnant with DD too. Maybe it's just a weird thing with me.

I am 17w2d. I'm not worried about the baby. It's a top rib and the baby is still low. I went to the doctor to confirm the rib situation last Friday and the baby's heartbeat was nice and strong.

Ah well, this too shall pass.

Lisa

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-18-2010 - 10:21pm

Ouch!

When I was teaching, a colleague of mine (while pregnant)slipped getting out of the bathtub. She too cracked a rib. She was in constant pain.

Wishing you a quick recovery...how long does that take to heal?

Val

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-19-2010 - 10:08am

So sorry about your painful problem. I hope it heals quickly!

Molly

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-19-2010 - 1:33pm

So sorry you are in pain, Lisa. I hope you heal quickly.

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-21-2010 - 10:06pm

It will be a couple of weeks before I notice any great improvement. Of course, it doesn't help that I still have to go to work and pick up my DD and clean the house - you know, all that stuff we do.

Hopefully I will get a chance to rest it some on the weekend.

Lisa

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-21-2010 - 10:17pm
Big, big hugs to you. I truly don't know how you're able to continue working and lift your daughter. When I said (in my previous post) I compared the pain I had in my right rib cage to labor pains, I wasn't kidding. It was seriously that bad. I was in tears for almost two days from the pain. I hope you heal quickly. BTW, how did they confirm a cracked rib? The hospital refused to run x-rays on me due to my being pregnant. And I was CERTAIN I somehow broke a rib...
Photobucket

Photobucket