Looking for info on pregnancy after 40..

iVillage Member
Looking for info on pregnancy after 40..
Tue, 04-20-2010 - 10:09pm

Hi all! I guess I should have intro'd myself in the welcome thread -- sorry! My name is Tracey. I am 42 and we are thinking about getting dh a reversal and having another baby. We have 5 great children right now.

So...this may not happen until I am about 43 or even 44 -- how old IS too old, really? We are Christians, so I am thinking when God shuts the door...that is when I should be done.

I don't FEEL too old to do this. Good grief!

I'm afraid to even tell my friends and family -- in fear that they will think I am nuts.

Thanks!

- Tracey

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-21-2010 - 8:58am

Tracey,

43 or 44 isn't too old, IMO. I'm 42 and will be 43 by my due date. We have women on here who are happily expecting after age 45. It all depends on you and what seems right in your life, and whether you're willing to face the increased risks that come with AMA pregnancy and live with whatever happens. But I like to say, if no one was supposed to have babies after 40, how come so many of us can? And I also read the statistics that show increased risks as still giving me a better chance of having a healthy baby than not.

For info, you can search the web, but many people have found that to be a discouraging route-- some of the articles and even more so people's random opinions, seem to dwell on the risks. There are likely to be some here who can refer you to good books on the subject. You can also seek out an OB who has experience with AMA (some docs also tend to be negative on the subject, but ones who have a good sense of the whole picture are also out there). Myself, I was very glad to find this board. We hear about the risks and sad losses on a regular basis but also very regularly see successful examples of women having babies in their 40s. Take a good look around this board and you'll find women in a range of situations- some first-time moms-to-be; others who have older kids and are now expecting again; some, like me, who thought it might not be possible to still become pregnant but, SURPRISE, we found out differently; and others who have been trying for years and are finally having success.

Good luck on your baby quest. Maybe you'll be back here before too long!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-21-2010 - 11:07am

Hi Tracey.

Karen gave you such a warm welcome and such good info that there really isn't too much more that I can add.

I think, as you are a family of 5 kids, I wouldn't be surprised if I was family or friend to learn that you were expecting again. But, I know that the reality can be different.

You just need to do what is right for your situation. I really don't know much about vasectomy reversal...from what I've seen on Dr. Oz (LOL), I don't think that it has overwhelming success, but it probably depends on the urologist/surgeon performing the reversal.

In my situation, not many friends or family members were shocked to learn that we are expecting #3. We have a long history of infertility and loss and the "baby factory" didn't really seem to get up and running until I turned 35! HA!

So, best wishes to you. Keep us posted. There's a nice TTC after 40 Club here at iVillage.

Val
Mom to Mary Catherine, age 5, IVF baby
Mom to Benjamin, age 3 BONUS baby
Mom to Baby Boy #2, due 08/06/10, BONUS baby

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-21-2010 - 11:34am
Thanks, ladies! One more question -- what is "AMA?" Thanks!
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-21-2010 - 2:57pm

AMA is "advanced maternal age" (hate that term!)

You're only as old as you feel.

Susan L.

Robert Edward Xavier Lin - Born July 31, 2010 at 5:56AM, 6 pounds 4 ounces and 19 inches long. He spent 2 weeks in the NICU but he's doing great now!
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-21-2010 - 9:01pm

Hello, Tracey, and welcome. I'm sorry for the late welcome....this is my third time trying to respond to you. The first time I hit some sequence of keys that entirely wiped out everything I typed. The second time, my two year old did something to wipe out my entire response (she like to try to type on the keyboard whenever she sees me at it...). Anyway, I probably can't offer much advice or info that hasn't already been offered to you by the ladies here. If you feel like your family isn't complete and you're aware of the increased risks (some to you but mostly to baby) and are willing to accept them, then what's wrong with bringing another baby into your family to share love with? I second the statement "you're only as old as you feel". I'm 42 and am presently pregnant with #3. I don't feel old and I like to think I don't look old either, LOL, and I attribute this to my having young children. They make sure I stay busy! I'll post the link to the TTC Over 40 board; if you haven't already checked it out, I recommend reading through some of the stories, questions, and experiences the women over there have shared. They're full of a wealth of knowledge and information when it comes to pretty much ANYTHING related to TTC for a women over 40 years old. Best wishes to you. Perhaps we'll see you back here one day announcing a BFP. : )

http://messageboards.ivillage.com/iv-ppttcaf40

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-21-2010 - 10:21pm
Thanks, Joan! Gosh, how do you guys get those awesome photos in your siggy's?!
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-21-2010 - 10:42pm

LOL, I had to ask a ton of questions about how to do it. I'll try to explain it but realize that I am anything but technically savvy, LOL!

There's a board here on iVillage where you can request a personalized siggy. Simply submit a request for a siggy along with a photo you'd like incorporated into your siggy (or a few of your favorite photos indicating which pieces from each photo you'd like contained in your siggy). Make sure to include in your request any text/verbiage you'd like (or not like) included in your siggy, and anything particular you like or dislike (i.e., you love the color blue; you want a spring- or summer-themed siggy, you'd like a particular caption included in it, etc.). When I submit my requests, I include a link to my Photobucket account (where I keep all my blinkies and photos used in my siggys) as well as an actual attachment of the photo. For some reason, sometimes the photo comes through as something called a "thumbnail", meaning the photo can't be enlarged enough to be used in the siggy. So I've learned to just send it both ways.

The link to the board to request a siggy is:

http://messageboards.ivillage.com/iv-pssigshow

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions...I'll try to help you but you may be better of posing your question on the siggy board (same link I provided above); they have a section where you can ask technical questions and I'm sure they can help you better and faster than I can. I don't mind trying to help you, I'm just not sure if I'll be able to... : ) Also, once the siggy is created, if you need help figuring out how to get your siggy to appear in your posts, ask in the same "questions" section on the siggy board or let me know. If you're using IE (as opposed to Firefox) for internet access, I might be able to help you. Good luck. : )

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-15-2010 - 5:42pm

Tracey

I just saw your post and wanting to respond.

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-21-2010 - 11:17pm
I am a Christian too! We have 3 precious children, and some days my heart is yearning for another! My baby is only 16 months old, and my other 2 are 12 and 6. We have been on the almost 5 1/2 year plan. I am 41 now and feel like I'm ticking away. This is a very private matter and I pray for peace and contentment. He knows what is best, but I have lots more love to give! Praying!
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-02-2010 - 8:10pm

Just a quick note on the Clearblue Easy Fertility Monitor.

I bought the monitor when we were ttc #1 and within 2 months we had succeeded.