Pregnant after 40 - CNN article

iVillage Member
Pregnant after 40 - CNN article
Thu, 04-22-2010 - 9:59pm
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-22-2010 - 10:47pm

The article is okay, but I wish when they talked about the increased risk of chromosomal abnormalities and DS, they would flip those statistics around and make clear that they still give us a much higher chance of having a baby without such issues. Listing the risks that way only is what leaves people like my sister (who's highly educated and not completely unfamiliar with reading statistics) to conclude I had a 30 percent risk of having a baby with DS (1 in 30 is the stated risk for a 45-year-old based on age alone, which is like a 3-4 percent risk, although my age-based risk is even a bit lower cause I'm still a few years from 45). Based on my screenings, my risk is average for someone in their early to mid 30s. But I wasn't ready at that age. I'm not saying the risks aren't generally higher, but by stating them that way only, they leave the impression that, if you're lucky enough not to miscarry, you're nearly certain to have a baby with chromosomal issues. I wonder how many women over 40 out there might have ended unexpected pregnancies they would have otherwise chosen to carry because they felt (without knowing) that was sure to be their fate.

Make a pregnancy ticker

Edited 4/23/2010 10:45 am ET by karen2010
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-23-2010 - 10:54am

What's funny and kind of sad are the comments after this article. Some seem to feel most people are too decrepit to walk and moving into nursing homes by our 40s. I think that with the average (just the average) life expectancy for women now more than 80 years old, it shouldn't be that shocking that more of us are choosing to have babies later in our childbearing years. However, a lot of the posters making such comments seem like they're just be trying to be funny and provoke people. You can't really have a genuine discussion with people who are in it for that.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-24-2010 - 7:52am

Hi Karen I agree with you it was kinda funny and sad. My mother had a ds baby at the age of 25 and she passed when I was 8 years old at the age of 37 I guess she should of had children at the age of 15 to be safe according to those people on the comment boards. who have no clue. oh well ignorance is bliss and Life has no guarantees.

lol

TC
Anne