How did your preg differ after 40?

iVillage Member
How did your preg differ after 40?
Tue, 05-18-2010 - 10:43pm

My last children were born when I was 37 and 38. Hubby and I are now going down the road of trying for another one, however since he had a vasectomy he would have to have a reversal. At the earliest, we wouldn't be able to try until after I turn 40 and so baby would be born when I was either 40 or 41.

I had my first child at 19 (actually 2 days before I turned 20) and then in my 30s, and those pregnancies differed immensely. While my dd wasn't planned, the pregnancy was much easier and I bounced back easier. With my youngest dd and ds, I was on bedrest for the end of those pregnancies and they were born 6 weeks and 4 weeks premature, though healthy.

I am curious to hear others experiences. My age is the only negative on my long list of positives, and so I'm doing my research while hubby does his.

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-19-2010 - 9:39pm

I've always been "AMA" with having my babies, BUT even this time I seem to be more tired than I was at 34 (delivered a few weeks shy of 35) and 37.

I don't know if it's being 40 or if it is being at home and chasing after a 5 and 3 year old! LOL I'll be 41 a few weeks after delivery (yes, my first born and my last born may just end up sharing a birthday!).

Good luck with your decision and any attempts you make!

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-20-2010 - 3:30am

Well, I'm 40 and pregnant with number 4... and I think that, while pregnancy feels pretty much the same this time around, it's OTHER PEOPLE who are acting differently.

Instead of hearing a straight "Congratulations!" from most people I tell, they respond with a shocked look and say something like "Another child!!" or "What have you done?" or something else that betrays their surprise. Their tone isn't mean or nasty. It's just that I would like to hear a simple "Congratulations" without any extra overtones or questions. Even my MIL made the comment "Will you be able to enjoy the children you already have??" And she had already had a week to "digest" the news; my husband had told her and apparently her reaction wasn't pretty (thank God I wasn't there to see it).

Also, my husband has a lot of ups and downs.

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-21-2010 - 9:36am

I didn't find being pregnant over 40 much different from being pregnant in my 30's.

iVillage Member
Sat, 05-22-2010 - 9:40am
Well, I just turned 40 in March, and I'm expecting baby #6 at the end of July.

Robynne mama to Emily (3/26/99), Allison (5/13/02)

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-01-2010 - 11:13am

I absolutely have to nap more often than I did in my 30s. I didn't have any kids before 30, so that's all I've got to go on.

I am very conscientious about walking each day, regardless. So I don't slack off, I am serious about exercise, despite being fluffy, pregnant, and diabetic.

I am deadly serious about my diet, being diabetic and on insulin. Not as much at age 30.

I accept more help from my husband than I did 14 years ago. And he offers more.

My back hurts more. But is that due to age only? Or the way the baby is sitting.. not sure. I'm told some pregnancies vary, and it could be a baby sitting on my sciatic nerve or something. Hurts, either way.

I tihnk it is wayyyyyyyyy fun having a baby at 43. It's like winning the lottery, getting a bonus prize, getting an extension.. a later blessing than some get. A second (6th?) chance to enjoy something so fabulous.

Andy, Gerard, Sarah, Merina and Emma call me Mama,

but you can call me

KelliSue

Laugh a little - www.kellikolz.blogspot.com

pregnancy

Andy, Gerard, Sarah, Merina and Emma call me Mama,

but you can call me

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-01-2010 - 8:50pm

I had my first 3 when I was 32, 34 and 36.