Breastfeeding Question

iVillage Member
Breastfeeding Question
Wed, 06-09-2010 - 10:29pm
Just wondering if anyone has had problems breastfeeding after successfully nursing other children.
Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-10-2010 - 1:40am

This is my first, so I can't comment on whether a gap between pregnancies has had any effect on nursing ability, but I have heard women say it's easier to lactate once they already have, though I don't know if that changes after a longer period of not doing so. I don't think it's a very age-related issue, though-- I'm already starting to lactate a bit even though I still have more than two months till my due date (though now it's possible I could have a c-section a week or two before my due date because of the baby's advanced size). Anyway, I expect I'll be fully ready to nurse whether the baby is here at 38 or 40 weeks, but if your question was about a longer gap between period of nursing, I can't speak to that, but most hospitals have lactation consultants now to help with such issues.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-10-2010 - 12:18pm

Hey,

Lurking here....I'm 42. I have a 21 year old DS who I bf'd for 2 + years. I also now have an 18 month old DD who has been and continues to be bf'd, with no issues. I have an almost 20 year age gap between my 2 kiddos :) I actually did have to supplement my DS with formula, and not one ounce with DD, so I

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-10-2010 - 1:39pm

I don't think you should look for trouble that isn't here yet.

Susan L.

Robert Edward Xavier Lin - Born July 31, 2010 at 5:56AM, 6 pounds 4 ounces and 19 inches long. He spent 2 weeks in the NICU but he's doing great now!
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-10-2010 - 11:12pm
I have successfully nursed all 6 of my children so far. With my last c-section the last time, it took a bit longer for my milk to come in fully, but it all worked out fine. There are 13 years between my first and my last so far. I think you should plan on breastfeeding and get help from the nurses and lactation consultant at the hospital if you should need it.

Carol, mom to 6PhotobucketPhotobucket

Carol, mom to 7

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-11-2010 - 2:03pm

I had a six year gap between babies, and I worried too. Didn't need to.

If you feel worried, take a box of mothers' milk tea with you to the hospital and start drinking it after delivery. 4 cups a day is the recommended dosage, and it will help your milk supply.

There's a 70!!! year old IVF mom in India breastfeeding her son, so since she'd done menopause already, I think we have no excuses. LOL.

Andy, Gerard, Sarah, Merina and Emma call me Mama,

but you can call me

KelliSue

Laugh a little - www.kellikolz.blogspot.com

pregnancy

Andy, Gerard, Sarah, Merina and Emma call me Mama,

but you can call me