Belly measuring almost 39 weeks

iVillage Member
Belly measuring almost 39 weeks
Wed, 06-30-2010 - 8:27pm

Here we go again. At my prenatal appointment today, the doc said my belly's measuring nearly 39 weeks, yet hesitated to say whether they will plan a c-section or induction ahead of schedule at this point. Should know more after a u/s and NST scheduled for next week. I'm starting to fear whether I'll be able to even walk in another month, let alone wait 6 more weeks to give birth.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-12-2010 - 10:20am

With my first, I didn't start wearing maternity clothes until 7.5 months PG. I teach highschool and at 8 months, kids said they heard I was PG and was it true. When I showed up at the hospital in labor (and at 41 weeks) I had to enter through emerg since it was the only open door at

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 07-07-2010 - 1:21pm

It's funny (or actually, NOT funny), but I had the exact opposite problem when I was carrying Mary Catherine. And believe it or not, the hurt/frustration is just the same.

People would argue with me that I could not POSSIBLY be having a baby on August 4 b/c I just wasn't "big enough". WTH!!!

Seems you can't win for losing!

Now, I did read one of your responses to Robbye or Joan that did mention having extra fluid and that was the opposite problem that I had...I had very low fluid level with Mary. That's why they couldn't attempt to do an external version on her breech position and probably why she couldn't flip herself...low fluid level. So, combine that with only a 6 lb 12 oz baby and one does probably look small at 39ish weeks.

Interestingly, neither Benjamin or this baby has a fluid level issue (not high or low) and I did and do appear much larger than I did with Mary. Also much more uncomfortable.

It just was so disheartening to spend close to $15,000 on IVF and then have people question me the entire 9 months about when I was going to "START" to look pregnant! AAAARGH!

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-05-2010 - 2:03am
Bah, I have gotten that "disbelief at how huge you are" with every. single. baby.

Robynne mama to Emily (3/26/99), Allison (5/13/02)

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-03-2010 - 9:09am

Thanks Robynne and Joan. It's not so much the measurements but people's comments that are getting to me. Surely, some amount of the measurement is "me" (although I did get my doc to correct the previous discrepancy that said I started my pregnancy in the "obese" category-- that was not so), but it's mostly baby and fluid, and when people keep saying they can't believe I'm not due till August 15, just what do people expect me to do about it? Do they really think those comments are at all helpful? I'm trying to develop some good comebacks, cause it gets tiring to hear it all day long when I go out anywhere.

Wow, Robynne, you're almost there too. Here's to the home stretch!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-03-2010 - 8:54am
I really think the whole tape measure thing is so silly.

Robynne mama to Emily (3/26/99), Allison (5/13/02)

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-02-2010 - 10:20pm
Karen - I'm sorry you're having a tough time -- I know exactly how you feel! And I know how frustrated you are with all the comments from people about your size, etc.. It's no fun, I know. You have my sympathies!!! I look forward to hearing what you learn from your next ultrasound, etc.. Hang in there and be well.
Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-02-2010 - 6:23pm

I got a reply from someone on the August EC board who said she's measuring at 44 weeks. That's probably about what I'll be by the end. I didn't even think it was possible to be 44 weeks pregnant, but I guess it is according to the tape measure. I'm telling you, though, I could do without all the constant comments about how I look like I could pop any minute or they must have made a mistake and I really am carrying twins. I suppose people think they are commiserating, but I don't think they realize how those comments affect the pregnant woman hearing them. I'm going to get to the point where I won't want to leave my house.

Hope I'll know more after my u/s next week about whether they're likely to schedule and induction or c-section before my due date. I wouldn't be surprised, especially if the baby continues to measure in the 90th percentile with extra fluid around him. I'm not sure if they'll do a weekly NST or u/s after this one, but there's likely to be at least one more by the end of this month.

You're getting close, ladies. Sounds like we'll all deliver within a week or two of each other! Yay, can't wait!

Edited 7/3/2010 8:55 am ET by karen2010
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-01-2010 - 5:09pm

Hey Lady! Been wondering how you are doing?

Sounds like all is well, except for the discomfort that measuring so far ahead does to one!

My sister-in-law always carries huge and does deliver big babies. Like me, she has only had c-sections. Her first born, Ashley, was 9lbs 10oz and although she labored for several days she ended up w/ a c-section. I think they let her go to her due date. In the end, the c-section was required b/c Ashley's head/neck was tilted upward...not so much b/c of her size.

With my nephew Collin and niece Megan, they scheduled her c-sections about a week out.

I know that my c-section is scheduled for July 29, which is only 8-days out. She was hesitant to schedule him for delivery any earlier. My guy is huge, yet I'm not measuring ahead at all. He's finally head down and will probably stay that way as my last sono showed it getting pretty cramped in there.

I did just read that how you measure and carry on the outside is not really a good indicator of how big or small baby is on the inside. I also read that even sonos can be off on the weight measurement...which is probably why my doc is predicting an 8+ lb baby and not a 9 or 10 lb baby.

I'd say all bets are off with you! LOL I'm sure my little man is on the larger side b/c of the diabetes. I still haven't really gained any weight...so excited to hop on the scale after delivery! HA!

Take care,

Val

P.S. How frequently do they have you checking in. I've had to start going weekly at 30-weeks. Not even kidding. Feel like this is such a waste of insurance money, BUT on the other hand, with gestational diabetes, I don't think I would ever get over ending up with a stillbirth so late in the game at this point. So, I'll just let them pamper me and enjoy my weekly sonos!!!

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-01-2010 - 3:44pm

Oh, wow. I hope the u/s and NST bring the results you are looking for. I want to go natural, but some days an early induction or even c/s sound good, just to finally have Baby Girl in my arms, so I can only imagine how you're feeling with a belly measuring full-term.

I started the weekly u/s and NST this week. Big waste of time and money, as far as I'm concerned. The technology is there, so they do it. The threshold for passing both tests is so low, I don't see how it really does much diagnostic good; I already know how active baby is ....

On top of the weekly visit to the hospital for the u/s and NST, I'll start weekly prenatal visits to my midwives next week. I suppose once the baby is here, I'll look back whistfully at these 5-6 weeks, thinking how easy it was to run here and run there. Luckily I have a supportive boss, who understands the time away from the office to take care of these appointments.

Please KUP after your tests.

Melinda