Baby 7+ lbs, mod to high polyhydramnios

iVillage Member
Baby 7+ lbs, mod to high polyhydramnios
Thu, 07-08-2010 - 10:11am

With 5 more weeks till my actual due date, my doc yesterday said the baby's basically measuring "off the charts"-- first measurement said 7 lbs 8 oz, second said 7 lbs 6 oz. Even within the margin of error (which could mean being off either way), he's more than 7 lbs. What's more concerning to me is the moderate to high level of polyhydramnios (excess amniotic fluid).

I should know by this point in my pregnancy that using Google for info about any medical concerns can lead to great anxiety. On the one hand, that's how I found this group. On the other hand, it can lead a lot of worst case scenarios, which don't always come with an indication of prevalence. Poly can be a sign of a chromosomal or other medical issue in the baby or a medical problem in the mother (gestational diabetes). My risk for Down Syndrome came back pretty low (1 in 447), there were no signs of it at my 18+ week ultrasound, and my blood glucose screening in early May showed no sign of gestational diabetes. In 60-65 percent of cases, the cause of polyhydramnios is unknown. It only occurs in 2 percent of pregnancies, although I wonder if there's a genetic link because my sister had it with her son (they both came through fine, by the way).

What scared me the most was when I read polyhydramnios can potentially lead to placental abruption and, in even rarer cases, stillbirth. Back at the hospital later for an NST, one of the nurses said she's only seen placental abruptions twice in 4-5 years, and they didn't lead to stillbirth, and my doc said he's rarely encountered cases when it caused major complications. Frequently, it resolves itself or doesn't lead to major complications, and the baby turns out just fine. Still, I will be having twice weekly NSTs for the duration and brief weekly ultrasounds to check the fluid level, and I need to be on the lookout for warning signs. Poly can also case early labor, though with 5 weeks till my due date and the baby a good size already, the baby arriving a few weeks early wouldn't be the worst thing that could happen.

Another sizing ultrasound is scheduled for three weeks from now. Assuming he hasn't been born yet by then, if the baby's still measuring "off the charts" at that point, a c-section will likely be scheduled for the next week. So chances are very high his birth date will be before August 15.

Trying to hang in there and stay positive through these last weeks, but was hoping to not have so many questions surrounding the timing and method of my baby boy's arrival.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-11-2010 - 4:36pm
HI Karen,
It sounds like you are being closely monitored. And your baby seems to be doing well too. So hang in there. It won't be that long and you will have your precious little (or big) one in your arms.

Carol, mom to 6PhotobucketPhotobucket

Carol, mom to 7

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-09-2010 - 8:36pm
Hi Karen. I'm sorry you're so worried about all the "what if's". I'm sure any of us would be worried just like you are. But try to be reassured by what your doc and the nurse told you: in most cases, baby and Mom are fine. I've known of a few woman with the same condition you have and they and their babies were (and are) perfectly fine. Try to remain positive and keep smilin'!
Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-08-2010 - 10:51pm

Thanks ladies. I do feel a bit better today about where things stand-- even with a relatively high level of extra fluid, I think he will arrive safely one way or another, and he is far enough along that even if he's here sometime in July, there should be little danger to him. I was struck with by one thought, though. One of the possible identifiable causes of polyhydramnios is toxoplasmosis. I have been sharing my room with a cat for my entire pregnancy (and I am the one who changes his litter), so, although that could have nothing to do with this problem, I should probably mention it to my caregivers.

Anyway, I suppose there's no easy way out of this, but I still have faith that I'll end up with a healthy baby boy in the end.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-08-2010 - 5:06pm

Karen,

I have to agree with Donna's response.

As far as too much fluid, yes that can definitely be problematic, but it sounds as if they are keeping a close eye on you. It is also correct when you read or were told that usually there is no known cause for the excess fluid. This is similar to when there is too little fluid, like I had with Mary Catherine. They couldn't tell me a reason and I did not have fluid problems with these last two babies...who knows!

Now, my girlfriend that I taught with (much younger than us) did have an excess fluid problem and when Gabe was delivered they discovered some facial (eye/nose) deformity. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and assume that with all your sonos you haven't seen anything like that.

As for weight...yes, those growth measurements can be way off. I just met a nurse on 4th of July at a party that was told her baby would be over 10 lbs and delivered a 7 lbs 3 oz baby.

They keep telling me that I have a big baby in there, yet nobody questions or tells me that I look huge and I really don't feel huge, I guess this would be especially true since I don't have excess amnio fluid.

And think, my odds for a DS risk are waaaaaaay worse than yours...1:17. NOBODY would trade odds with me regardless if you look at the odds reversely!

I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers these next several weeks. It certainly sounds as you are not going to make it to your Aug. 15th due date, but also keep in mind that baby's weight gain should slow down in these last 4-5 weeks.

...And maybe you'll just end up with a 10 lb baby! LOL

While I did wash all my "newborn" hand me downs from Ben and my sister's boy's, I actually stored them on the bottom drawer, b/c I just don't think this little man is going to need newborn size clothes (up to 8 lbs).

Wishing you well,
Val

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-08-2010 - 3:56pm

I know it is scary to have so many worries as you approach your due date.

Pregnancy%20ticker