Could it be the beginning of the end?

iVillage Member
Could it be the beginning of the end?
Sat, 07-10-2010 - 12:28am

I was at the hospital having an NST today and the nurses were, first of all, having some trouble consistently tracking the heartbeat because of all the extra fluid, then noticing a number of contractions, and also the baby was very active. I wasn't feeling the contractions that strongly, but on the way home and tonight they've included some cramping, which I didn't previously have with Braxton-Hicks, and I even felt one in my back. Not sure if this is just the feeling of the Braxton-Hicks changing, or a sign I could go into full-blown labor soon.

Although I really wouldn't mind him a few weeks early (and it might mean avoiding a c-section later), I'm not quite prepared for him yet. My baby shower is this Wednesday and I don't even have a bassinet for him yet. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he will hold out for two more weeks so I can be more ready for him, but don't think it's any more up to him than it is to me.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-10-2010 - 7:19pm

First of all, sorry if the title of this thread seems not to fit. I meant the end of my pregnancy and, actually, a new beginning with my baby.

I'm feeling a little less worried today that contractions, even those in my back, may be a sign he's on his way within a few days. I'm told there are other signs, such as feeling him settle into my pelvis, and I don't think he's there yet (though the doc said this week he is head down now). Again, I won't complain a bit if he's here by the end of July-- anytime after the next two weeks would be ideal. I just hope all this fluid building up doesn't cause or isn't a sign of major complications.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-10-2010 - 9:27pm
I'm glad you're feeling better today. I swear, for the last three or four weeks of my pregnancy I thought it was at the beginning of the end of it. Even though it was my third pregnancy, I never went into labor naturally so I didn't know if what I was experiencing were signs of labor... You're so close to your due date that everything you feel will be exaggerated compared to what you've felt up until now. I kept telling myself that unless I had consistent contractions at regular intervals, I wasn't in labor (that's based on everything I read and what my doc told me). So I tried to dismiss every cramp, Braxton Hicks contraction, frequent and loose bowel movements (sorry if TMI), etc., etc., as just a sign that labor would be here "soon". The only problem was no one -- and especially not me -- knew when "soon" would be, LOL! Hang in there, I'm sure you'll know when it's time. Best wishes to you and please keep us posted.
Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-11-2010 - 10:36am

You could be close, did they check your cervix at all to see if the contractions are doing anything? I was having contractions at my NST on Friday too, but my cervix is still high and closed (I had to have the GBS swab done, so she checked for me.)

I hope the fluid doesn;t cause too much trouble for you! I know that you must be uncomfortable. I am also measuring about 4 weeks ahead, but I have had big babies, so that is no surprise. From your pictures on the Aug EC board, you look great!

Have fun at your shower!

Carol, mom to 6PhotobucketPhotobucket

Carol, mom to 7

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-11-2010 - 4:11pm

Thanks, Carol. Think it's highly likely this guy will be here before the due date, one way or another. I haven't had my cervix checked for dilation yet. The contractions haven't been as strong yesterday or today as Friday, but when I go in for my appointments this week, especially if the nurses are still noting a lot of contractions, I'll ask about this. I'm worried about the extra fluid, but all I can do now is hang in there and hope for the best. I do feel he'll come through fine in the end-- I'm just so mentally ready to have this baby boy here now (even though I'm really not completely ready yet).

Good luck with the home stretch. You're a pro at this, so you should be just fine.

Photobucket