Amnio or Level 2 Ultrasound?? Help!

iVillage Member
Registered: 06-26-2010
Amnio or Level 2 Ultrasound?? Help!
6
Mon, 07-12-2010 - 12:02pm

Hi


Just wondering if anyone has experience with having an amnio?


As I didn't find out I was pregnant until I was 16 weeks I have missed all the first trimester testing.

iVillage Member
Registered: 07-20-2008
Mon, 07-12-2010 - 1:11pm

I have never had an amnio, but it is definitely one of those tests that are invasive enough that I would put it off until the benefits of it definitely outweigh the risks, if that makes sense.

Robynne mama to Emily (3/26/99), Allison (5/13/02)

iVillage Member
Registered: 01-23-2010
Mon, 07-12-2010 - 3:47pm

It is such an individualized decision whether to have amnio. I myself decided against it because it could have carried an additional risk to my baby, besides the standard risk anyone having the procedure faces. The level 2 U/S will not be able to diagnose whether or not your baby has a chromosomal issue, although many babies with the other Trisomies besides DS don't make it past the fetal stage to begin with, and the signs are more obvious during US. Some of us decide to live with whatever chance is indicated by the screenings and U/S.

Now, at the end of my pregnancy, my doc raised Down Syndrome as one of the potential causes for all the extra fluid I'm carrying. There's only a very small chance that's the reason; 60-65 percent of the time when there's too much amniotic fluid, the cause is unknown. My screening came back 1 in 447 for Down Syndrome, and 1 in about 1700 for another chromosomal issue, and my level 2 U/S showed no signs of a chromosomal abnormality. I still don't think he has DS, and my doc doesn't think it's likely either, but I'll deal with it if he does, as well an any other health issue that may be causing the excess fluid. There are so many genetic/inborn issues a baby can have and there's no test to diagnose everything. But as I mentioned in another thread, my sister had polyhydramnios with her son and he wasn't born with any major health problems, as is the case with the majority of babies born under such conditions.

Anyway, others feel it's important to be able to have the time to prepare themselves and their families if a chromosomal abnormality is present, so they want to know for sure. Only you can decide for yourself which group you fall into, but gathering all the info you can on the risks vs. the benefits of amnio can help you make your choice.

Photobucket


iVillage Member
Registered: 01-23-2010
Mon, 07-12-2010 - 4:54pm

I'm on the other side of the fence from the other two posts so I'll give you my 2 cents. I was a young AMA at 36 with my DD and stopped all testing at the quad screen. The percentages were good and I wasn't interested in taking it any further. Fast forward to today. I'll be 44 at the end of the year and plan to have both a level II u/s and an amnio in mid September when I am 16 weeks. The odds of anything happening to the fetus with this procedure is less than one percent.

baby development
iVillage Member
Registered: 03-31-2007
Mon, 07-12-2010 - 5:10pm

I think your odds are pretty good, considering that is like a 1% chance. You still have a 99% chance of a normal baby. I have had babies at 40, 42, 45 and this one at 46 and I have never done the amnio. I always do the level II u/s and I never even did the first tri testing w/ the ones at 40 and 42. My doc recommended that I didn't do the quad screen cause she said it would come back positive simply based on my age.

The level 2 cannot rule out down syndrome, but it can give you info on soft markers.

Carol, mom to 6PhotobucketPhotobucket

Carol, mom to 7

iVillage Member
Registered: 01-23-2010
Mon, 07-12-2010 - 11:53pm

Just wanted to also note that if my odds had come back indicating a higher chance, or if DS had been diagnosed through CVS or amnio, I would have continued the pregnancy anyway. I had decided very early I would try to carry the baby as long as no condition was identified that would cause him/her great suffering. Like I said, most babies with other Trisomies besides DS(which aren't as common anyway) don't make it to delivery day or die soon after. But I've spent time around kids with DS and so many are able to live relatively long and happy lives. Some people want early CVS so they still have the chance to decide whether to terminate earlier. And I guess people can terminate even after amnio. Myself, I don't have other kids so I'm prepared to deal with any challenges my son might be born with. And, again, I have a health issue that would have made invasive testing an additional risk to my baby.

Anyway, like I said, only you can decide what you're most comfortable with for your own situation, and that often doesn't make it an easy decision either way.




Edited 7/13/2010 11:30 am ET by karen2010
Photobucket


iVillage Member
Registered: 01-23-2010
Mon, 08-02-2010 - 8:01pm

Having had 3 amnios with my last 3 pgs, I am obviously not against them.