How much blood is "spotting"?

iVillage Member
How much blood is "spotting"?
Mon, 08-02-2010 - 11:33am

Last night I posted that I had suddenly started bleeding heavy. It stopped after an hour or so. The first sign was that I actually thought I peed on myself because it came that quick and was thin for blood. So my question is, has anyone had a MC that started like this then finished up later? Can spotting be blood mixed with what appears clear fluid? I'm not going to the doc because I am not having a D&C and would rather wait it out at home than be stuck with needles and wait to be told my HCG levels.

I would think that as quick as the blood came last night it would keep coming, but it did not. Help anyone?

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-02-2010 - 12:16pm

First off, I wanted to say how much I feel for your situation right now. I've experienced 3 m/c's myself and believe me....when the spotting started, it never stopped. I know everyone is different. But I always referred to my beginning stages of m/c as a "slow leak". Was it bright red blood? Mine always started with a pale pink discharge after wiping when using the restroom and/or on my panties.

7 Weeks PG and Happy! 

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-02-2010 - 12:57pm

Thank you so much for responding. It was bright red but diluted looking. Looks more like water mixed with blood, not thick at all but a good burst of it with one small clot. I never had anything like this. My periods always start slow and like I said this was like all the sudden I peed on myself but it was not pee. I wonder if that clot needed to come out and it got expelled with the watery blood?

Then it seems to have stopped within the hour. My last MC stared with light pink mucus and got heavier and heavier. This is the opposite. I did a PG test knowing the HCG could take a while to drop in case of a MC, and of course it was positive. I still have not told anyone. I think I can handle it better than the husband can. I'm resting in bed, needing to go to work but not sure if I get up and do things if will have an effect. I know if it's gonna happen this early it will anyway. What torture. I'm pregnant. I'm miscarrying, I'm pregnant again, I miscarried again-no wait, did I?

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-02-2010 - 1:06pm

While it's hard to say, because pregnancies vary, one of my m/c did start that way.

A few days later a little more...

And nothing in between.

And then the miscarriage completed with cramping and pain and significant flow.

It's hard to predict when it's a mc and when it's just a bleed. I'm sorry.

Andy, Gerard, Sarah, Merina and Emma call me Mama,

but you can call me

KelliSue

Laugh a little - www.kellikolz.blogspot.com

pregnancy

Andy, Gerard, Sarah, Merina and Emma call me Mama,

but you can call me

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-02-2010 - 2:14pm

I had very heavy bleeding with clots at around 11 weeks.

Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-02-2010 - 3:00pm
Thank you Cheryl. A little spotting now but not much and quite watery. I'm going to wait it out a couple days. I'm so happy your bleeding ended and your baby is okay. What a blessing.
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-02-2010 - 6:02pm
Now I can tell it's a definite MC. I told the hubby and he was okay. We agreed for one more try after seeing a doctor to check whatever they can check. Seems like clotting is common, and progesterone level? What can anyone tell me about the simple things docs do to help with 2 or more MC?
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-02-2010 - 7:11pm
Well, noble777.....seems you are not alone. I was just on the phone with my friend when I totally stained my shorts. Went to the bathroom and it is indeed red blood and a lot. I felt a little crampy this morning and had this feeling of something coming my way. I had my husband pray for me and he left for work. Now he's on his way home and he is upset. Not at me, just at the "here we go again".

7 Weeks PG and Happy! 

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-03-2010 - 12:36pm

I'm so sorry for the both of you.

Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-04-2010 - 9:18pm

Wow- yes this sucks. I am sorry for your loss. One minute happily expecting then the next minute bloody mess and it's over. I guess I will carry my non-prego self to the doctor to try to get tested for something. It will be out of my pocket of course. My insurance won't cover it. I wonder how much that will cost?? I am tempted to go forward without tests, but I'm not averaging to well these days. Once again I am sorry you lost your baby and I hope you get your hearts desire.

Wendi