How many kids, how many MC?

iVillage Member
How many kids, how many MC?
Wed, 08-04-2010 - 7:32pm

With just having my second MC, I was wondering. I had two children before the age of 40 and zero miscarriages. I have had two miscarriages past the age of 40 and zero children.

What have others had before and after 40? And has anyone had two or more miscarriages and gone on to have a healthy baby without taking medications like asprin or progesterone?

I am already debating whether to try again. I am curious if after two MC's if is likely I need some type of meds, or is this just common after 40??

Thank you
Wendi

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-04-2010 - 11:08pm
Hi. I'm so sorry to hear of your miscarriages. It a heartbreaking and cruel experience. I'm 40 & pregnant for the sixth time. 17 weeks. I have 7 year old daughter and had her at 33. Since age 36-39 I've had 4 miscarriages. I had a workup after the third and the cause was deemed unexplained. I also have some fertility issues, pcos. This pregnancy was a surprise as we gave up after the last miscarriage. I'm farther along than the previous pregnancies and this one seems very viable. After three,you're considered a "habitual aborted" and a medical workup is warranted. Good luck to you. I hope you have a healthy baby someday soon.
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-05-2010 - 9:42am
Hi Wendi...hate to keep chiming in here. But if it's going to help you, I can share that I am 40 years old. I've had 2 m/c's at age 27 & 29. Went on to have 2 sons 11 months apart at age 31 (we're all March bdays). I m/c'd last year at age 39 and then now at 40.

7 Weeks PG and Happy! 

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-05-2010 - 4:28pm

This is my 8th pregnancy and my 10th baby (two sets of twins).

Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-05-2010 - 9:18pm

My DD was born five weeks before I turned 37.

baby development
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-05-2010 - 10:45pm

I understand the not wanting to go through this again. I'm still cramping from this MC and already debating whether to go through it again. I've been researching low progesterone and without testing I can't know, but that would be the first place I would have a doc test if I did do testing. Progesterone drops as we get older and it is necessary for healthy uterine lining. Since my MC are first trimester, I would suspect either genetic or progesterone but I am inclined to think progesterone because some of the other major symptoms of low progesterone I have too.

My Mom had her last baby at 40 with no problems. I am 46. I know if I knew for sure I would have a live healthy baby next time I would do it, but as we all know there is no warranty on it. I am thinking about fostering kids that are already born. There are a lot who need a good stable family. I know if I did try again, I need to do it soon. Talk about a clicking biological clock. I'm already on overtime.

I am sorry for everyone's loss. I hope there is good and light and whatever your heart desires for all of you.

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-06-2010 - 6:03pm
I started TTC at age 37. I have had 7 losses, all concieved through fertility treatments. Then I was diagnosed with PCOS and went on metformin and took human growth hormone for a few days during stims. Got pg and it stuck the first time on these meds. I am now almost 37 weeks pregnant!!! So there is hope even after many losses, but sometimes it is a matter of the right medication(s).
- Jenna, 42, DH 39 TTC since September '06 with MFI. 3 failed unmedicated IUI's with DH sperm, 1 failed IUI with injects with DH sperm, IVF #1 BFN, FET BFP but M/c week 5, IVF#2 BFP m/c week 7, IUI with injects and donor sperm: probable chemical pg. 1 failed unmedicated DS/IUI. Started BCP's 7/30 for IVF #3, ER 9/10, ET 9/15, Beta 9/24 results 9/25. BFP, Twins. Lost 1st twin at 9-10 weeks, lost second twin at 16 weeks 12/17/08. Attempted IUI #4 converted to DS/DH IUI April 09 at my request, BFP and M/c. IVF #4 June 09 BFN. DS-IUI w/injects 7/6/09, BFN. Hysteroscopic myomectomy to remove fibroid 7/29/09.Unmedicated DS-IUI 9/09, BFN. DS-IUI with injects, 10/09, BFP and M/C. DH/DS-IUI with injects and HGH, 12/6. BFP! Betas: 12dpo 12/18 58, 14 dpo 12/20 157, 16dpo 12/22 379, 22 dpo 12/28 4,002

pregnancy
- Jenna
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-06-2010 - 8:50pm

I had two children, at 30, and 33 with the help of Clomid. I don't ovulate regularly.

Then I got remarried and conceived spontaneously without fertility drugs at 40.

Then we conceived spontaneously at 42 and had a 6ish week mc. Then conceived with IUI and had a 10 wk mc at age 42 still. Then conceived again with IUI a few months later at age 43 and we deliver in October.

Two mc in a row aren't that uncommon over 40. And they're not the end.

Andy, Gerard, Sarah, Merina and Emma call me Mama,

but you can call me

KelliSue

Laugh a little - www.kellikolz.blogspot.com

pregnancy

Andy, Gerard, Sarah, Merina and Emma call me Mama,

but you can call me

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-07-2010 - 8:48pm

Gosh I feel like such a wimp. I've only had 2 MC's. My heart aches. I see how others have so many losses then they have that beautiful baby and it probably doesn't matter so much anymore. You guys are some rock stars with all these MC's and retries. I thought I was tough but you are all bad to the bone. I am so happy there are healthy babies being born. I wish one was mine but I celebrate that someone else did and can. I don't take it personal and I'm sure you all don't either. I really celebrate your babies and mourn for your losses. Thank you for all the support. It's made an immeasurable difference for me.

Wendi

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-07-2010 - 9:44pm

Wendi

So sorry to hear about your mc. I hope you don't get discouraged. I was just reading an article in Time magazine about pregnancy after miscarriage. Google "pregnancy after miscarriage" and you can read it. It is dated Aug 6, 2010. It states that pregnancies after miscarriages are much more successful when less that 6 months goes by. I hope it gives you hope.

Good Luck and I hope you're back on this forum soon.

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-08-2010 - 10:25pm

Wendi,

I tried emailing you privately....but it's not an option. I just wanted to check and see how you are doing. You already know I'm going through the same thing.

7 Weeks PG and Happy! 

Pages